Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance, Servicing and is Silicone Oil good or bad?

I have had a good read of that other thread and my brain aches now!

It reminded me of an article in last Julys airgun shooter which I managed to find. It has 13 different oils and not a single one is silicone apart from a silicone grease for o-rings.

I just purchased a silicone cloth and 30ml of Bisleys silicone gun oil. If anyone is interested in them I will post them out?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    I have had a good read of that other thread and my brain aches now!

It reminded me of an article in last Julys airgun shooter which I managed to find. It has 13 different oils and not a single one is silicone apart from a silicone grease for o-rings.

I just purchased a silicone cloth and 30ml of Bisleys silicone gun oil. If anyone is interested in them I will post them out?

Chris
    I think, as has been said, if you stick to dampening the cloth and then wiping the exterior surface of the gun over with it, rather than putting the oil on directly, then the gun will come to no harm. And it does result in a beautiful finish, no doubt.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Scroll down to Hector's post in this thread

http://www.network54.com/Forum/18447...+on+the+Yellow

Do you think that they say not to use it but use there brand might be a way of selling there product. How many time do you see firms saying to use there pellets in the rifle when its common knowledge that there is better pellets to use.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by venoman View Post
    Do you think that they say not to use it but use there brand might be a way of selling there product. How many time do you see firms saying to use there pellets in the rifle when its common knowledge that there is better pellets to use.
    That is true but I cant see why they sell things that are detrimental to our guns?

That is true but I cant see why they sell things that are detrimental to our guns?
    Silicone oil is not detrimental, provided it is used properly and for its intended purpose - to protect the exterior surfaces. Just see TonyL's post, he has been using it for years.

My own view is that having, through my own stupid fault, not used it properly and thereby severely damaged a new gun, I would rather use and recommend to others something which causes no harm wherever it ends up in springers. For me its Ballistol, other people have their favourites.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    For me its Ballistol, other people have their favourites.
    I think I would rather not risk it.

I am going to get some Ballistol as its also better for our health or there is another called Hoppe's (hop-ease) which has been unchanged for decades, even the labelling apparently.

sorry to bring this thread up again.

It says in my BSA instructions to put Molycote 111 on the fill probe o-rings. Should I put this on the o-ring of the pellet probe o-ring/cocking lever?

Chris
    BASC Member

It says in my BSA instructions to put Molycote 111 on the fill probe o-rings. Should I put this on the o-ring of the pellet probe o-ring/cocking lever?

Chris
    no problem with 111. its the oil that comes to the top of MS4. i had to work with it the grease will give you exzema. as will drybollick oil.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    no problem with 111. its the oil that comes to the top of MS4. i had to work with it the grease will give you exzema. as will drybollick oil.
    I think the stuff that the guy gave me when I bought my Ultra is MS4. I will have to have a look...
    BASC Member

Maintenance, Servicing and is Silicone Oil good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Just keep the silicon oil for the bedroom......
    Puts a lovley shine on rubber...lol. Seriously i only uses a smear of it on o rings when fitting & i do mean just a smear off my finger on the advice of john bowkett when rebuilding pcps. I use sm50 which has moly in silicone oil for piston seals & don't use it for anything else. Preferring moly based products or mineral oils for wiping external surfaces .I guess the little dropper bottle of silicone oil in my gun spares box will still be there when I'm gone!

Maintenance, Servicing and is Silicone Oil good or bad?

Ha! look up palm oil, which is getting put in nearly all foods these days as a cheap substitute for edible oils....& they're chopping down the last of the rainforests to grow that sh*te! Profit before sense as usual.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I use sm50 which has moly in silicone oil
    Sm50 does not contain silicone, I checked this with the managing director

Chris
    Yes, Molykote 111 is perfectly good for 'O' rings. Use it very sparingly and it will be fine.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

I think the stuff that the guy gave me when I bought my Ultra is MS4. I will have to have a look...
    have a good look. MS4 in a tube is sillycone grease. you only got the clear oil when it is stood for months. trust me, i worked with this for 14 years.
    it went in ford cargo cab mounts. leyland sherpa anti roll bars. and some more. the good point, its heat proof. until one of our "engieers" takes an empty and sets about it with an angle grinder. no eyebrows. (we had some great "engineers")
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.