Thread: Pistol Rear Sight Adjustment

Pistol Rear Sight Adjustment

I expect that this is a reflection of my poor pistol shooting technique but is it normal for a rear sight to need a lot of windage adjustment to get it zeroed?

Or am I holding it / standing wrong?

Thanks,

Rob.

Barrel might be bent or misaligned.

But you could well be pushing the trigger to one side as you fire. Most commonly that would see a right handed shooter throw his or her shots to the right.

Which pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Barrel might be bent or misaligned.

But you could well be pushing the trigger to one side as you fire. Most commonly that would see a right handed shooter throw his or her shots to the right.

Which pistol?
    I am a right-handed shooter of a CP1.

They're going fairly consistently right if nothing else!

I've noticed the same trigger pull issue with rifles, but you've got a more supported hold with them so it's easier to train out.

Thanks.

First thing to check is your stance. Stand in front of target, gun at 45 degrees. The raise gun, open eyes and see if lined up on centre of target. If not, move your feet (NOT your body) and try again until right.
    Once stance is OK then you need look at your grip and your trigger control and get those sorted and consistent before adjusting sights. Not easy I know but if you can get someone to help you while you shoot then he/she can spot any 'oddities'.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

use the ball of your trigger finger on the trigger. If you don't you will pull or push the pistol as you shoot. Unless you have small fingers either remove or trim the trigger guard as you don't want to touch it with your trigger finger as once again you will push or pull the pistol to the side.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Hi

Check out the Ten Rings website for some great info on target pistol shooting - covers the basics of stance, grip etc.

https://www.tenrings.co.uk/tips-and-tricks/

HTH

Paul

Check your front sight isn't wonky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    use the ball of your trigger finger on the trigger. If you don't you will pull or push the pistol as you shoot. Unless you have small fingers either remove or trim the trigger guard as you don't want to touch it with your trigger finger as once again you will push or pull the pistol to the side.
    When you say "...ball of your trigger finger...." do you mean not the fingertip section but the one back / below that? That will take a bit of getting used to - I don't have the largest hands! But I can see how it would reduce the pull.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Lavin View Post
    When you say "...ball of your trigger finger...." do you mean not the fingertip section but the one back / below that? That will take a bit of getting used to - I don't have the largest hands! But I can see how it would reduce the pull.

Thanks.
    Use the finger tip, that's where the finger is most sensitive allowing you too feel the trigger better but the most important thing is consistency, stand in the exactly same position, hand in the exactly same position on the grip, finger placement, breathing, shot released during the same part of the breathing cycle, how you bring the pistol up to eye line, the list goes on.
    One simple thing that well help is to put a little dot on a wall, stand (or sit) about 4 foot away and bring the pistol up to aim and dry fire (if you can dry fire the pistol) just doing this for 10 mins a day will improve your technique, if you can video yourself shooting so you can analyse your stance and shooting.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Lavin View Post

Thanks.
    When I say the ball I mean the middle of the fingertip section measured from the crease to the fingernail. The Idea is to get a straight back pull.

https://flat5.net/2014/08/trigger-le...nger-position/
    http://www.atwoodarmory.com/news-blo...nger-placement
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at