Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
My two Mercury S and Airsporter S have very nice walnut stocks. Curious, AGW October 1985 Gun Test by David Linaker of the Challenger suggests walnut stock. Of the two standard Challengers I have, the grain, which looks very good and different from the usual beech stocks would suggest possible walnut? My Carbine Challenger stock seems to suggest a good quality beech?

All he best....
Like I said, you never know what came out the BSA factory, all it takes is a bit of Walnut to get put in the pile for the Beech Deluxe style stock and before you know it you may well have a Walnut Deluxe style stock without the machine operator knowing about it, I've had a few "S"s in the past of both models and a couple have been very plain stocked and two I have now have very nice figured stocks and another has a "nothing to write home about" stock, in fact I'm just refinishing my Airsporter S carbines stock as I did it a few years ago when I first got it but felt I could do better, so far it's even better after a proper rub down with boiled Linseed oil, looking forward to oiling it properly this time over a period of a few weeks instead of trying to rush it like last time, just so I could get it finished and back together.

Pete