Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S410 - a worthy purchase?

S410 - a worthy purchase?

I have been contemplating getting another new PCP and am considering the S410 (in .177). Few things putting me off, barrel band, anti tamper (more difficult to remove than other brands), short life of exhaust valve (which then reduces shot count and power).

I don't want BSA or HW.
    I have admired the apparent build quality of the S410 for ages. Do i park my concerns and buy one, or do i get something else like a Rapid, FX?
    The Compatto is very appealing, but i am very wary of buying one due to the well documented issues that have been reported, and the poor service Daystate are renowned for.

What you saying people? Got anything bad to say about the S410?

i had one from new and couldn't fault it...enough shot count for out in the field and very accurate

The only fault I ever found on the 410s where the terrible safety catch on the trigger ,apart from that I think they are one of the best pcps I've ever owned . Simple enough to work on ect .I'd recommend the 410 for sure .
    Bsa R10 se

If you don't need the magazine facility the S400 is remarkable value.

A.G

I've had 3 s410k's, and really like them. Only problem I ever had with one was when I got excited on a squirrel shoot and put three pellets into the barrel.
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Buy an older pre AT or get a new one and get rid of it. Very, very easy to work on, so what if the exhaust valve needs replacing every year or two, there cheap and easy to do. Buy one, excellent guns However I do agree about the skinny barrel

with

out a doubt extremely fine rifle for the £ss

Cheers All
    Looks like you agree it's worth a shot

I will likely buy new unless i can find a VERY tidy used one, and ideally with a walnut log.

Regarding the AT. If you can direct me (probably via PM) how to remove it i would appreciate it. Any online vid's, guides in doing this will be appreciated

Air Arms S410 anti tamper removal.

You tube is your friend. It's all on there, from the most simple job, to complete strip down.

They are just so basic, just a starter pcp really, much better rifles out there once you know for yourself what you want.

Or just follow the constant internet blah of "mines fine" which says nothing st all in reality!
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    They are just so basic, just a starter pcp really, much better rifles out there
    Really nothing wrong with basic, less to go wrong. A starter gun, not really. Better rifles out there? yes but much, much dearer and again, more to go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    They are just so basic, just a starter pcp really, much better rifles out there once you know for yourself what you want.

Or just follow the constant internet blah of "mines fine" which says nothing st all in reality!
    Hi
    I'm now intrigued by what you hold in higher regard? What makes and models? I can only think you refer to Daystate and FX?

Go for the Air Arms.
    The only crunch is side lever or bolt

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

I've got two S400s one pre and one post AT. Pre AT is a doddle to work on. AT, look on you tube. Nothing to worry about. Both are spot on, super consistent and accurate. Even the carbine has plenty of shots for hft plus plenty of spare to zero and plink. I do find zero can wander each time it comes of of the slip. Is the barrel to blame, i dunno.

I have a Compatto too. Its had some niggles but I cannot fault Brocock service which sorted all. I've posted the story on this forum. Sorted it's a great package but doesn't do anything the AA cannot except reload. I do find the AA easier to shoot well.

I was told can't go wrong with S400/410. Good advice. As another plus AA tech support is good and spares easy to come by should you need them. You probably won't!

My 410 used to lose zero in transit, some sports match mounts sorted that (think the hawke mounts were to blame).

Out of curiosity why such a big need to mess with the anti-tamper? My 22 and 177 versions shoot spot on 11.5 ft-lb and have done consistently for the last 2 years. And decent shot count even in carbine version.