Thread: Lincoln

Lincoln

I've just acquired a new toy today . Its a Lincoln. Serial number 9073. In stunning condition. Engraving by Don Blocksidge and reblued by Colin Malloy. It's a break barrel, which seems unusual to me. Most I've seen are underlever. The etching on the top says "The Lincoln Air Rifle" in gothic script. I've never seen any pics or reference to one marked like this. Can anyone throw me any more info on this gun? You will be able to find pics in the for sale section posted by Brian (anightrains) who sold me the gun if they are of any help.

Thanks in advance

Ken.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post

I've just acquired a new toy today . Its a Lincoln. Serial number 9073. In stunning condition. Engraving by Don Blocksidge and reblued by Colin Malloy. It's a break barrel, which seems unusual to me. Most I've seen are underlever. The etching on the top says "The Lincoln Air Rifle" in gothic script. I've never seen any pics or reference to one marked like this. Can anyone throw me any more info on this gun? You will be able to find pics in the for sale section posted by Brian (anightrains) who sold me the gun if they are of any help.

Thanks in advance

Ken.
    Hello Ken. Hopefully one of the regular Old Coves who frequent this here Collectabls section will be able to bring you up to speed regarding your latest Lincoln acquisition, on which subject, I have to say, said purchase really does sounds like a most fortuitous find indeed, Kenneth?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanks in advance

Ken.
    Ken it's a Millita-type gun I think, that Lincoln Jeffries imported and badged as his own. German in origin.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Ken it's a Millita-type gun I think, that Lincoln Jeffries imported and badged as his own. German in origin.
    So, the thick plottens! It's total length is 108cm. Action is 73cm. Barrel 49cm. Due to the trigger guard it looks the the first gun on the pics. Does it make it more, or less desirable than a "proper" lincoln? Will the serial number still be an accurate means of dating it?

So, the thick plottens! It's total length is 108cm. Action is 73cm. Barrel 49cm. Due to the trigger guard it looks the the first gun on the pics. Does it make it more, or less desirable than a "proper" lincoln? Will the serial number still be an accurate means of dating it?
    Probably a bit less desirable than an equivalent Lincoln underlever, to be honest Ken. But these prewar Millitas were well made and anyway, you've bought a refinished rifle apparently engraved by a master engraver, presumably because you love that sort of thing. You are not alone, so enjoy it for what it is!

I'm not sure if the serial number will help you date it, but I doubt it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Cheers Mr Garvin. As you say, "it is what it is". I've tried it out today for the first time. It cocks beautifully smoothly and fires nicely too, with less recoil than I expected. It chronied at 5.4 fpe, which is as good as I expected. Can't get my head comfortably low enough to get the best out of the sights though! I just love the look of it. At the moment, it's the last of my guns I would part with.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Probably a bit less desirable than an equivalent Lincoln underlever, to be honest Ken. But these prewar Millitas were well made and anyway, you've bought a refinished rifle apparently engraved by a master engraver, presumably because you love that sort of thing. You are not alone, so enjoy it for what it is!

I'm not sure if the serial number will help you date it, but I doubt it.
    Hi Ken it is what Danny (Garvin) says, a pre war Millitas that Lincoln Jeffiers imported from Germany and put his own name on it. it's the type of which he used to make at least one prototype underlever from, that you can see on Dannys excellent forum. just enjoy it for what it is and the excellent engraving which would have cost a few £££s.
    Mick.