Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help: Webley Premier seized up after introduction of neatsfoot oil

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    If you start to strip the pistol and get the endplug/ guide off, check for scoring/gouges in the cylinder. I have seen a few Webley pistols that have had modern lubes in them that the piston starts to dig into the cylinder on cocking. I did a Premier Mk2 for a bloke last year that needed a small rotary tool and a file to clean the gouges to enable the piston to come out. I used chainsaw oil to lubricate the thing, but any thickish mineral oil should be ok. I am not saying that is the problem, but worth checkking before using brute force and doing more damage.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Cannot get the end cap out

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Even I can do it!
    Thank you, all, for your assistance.

I have removed the barrel - simple enough. However, I cannot remove the end cap/plug at the end of the pistol (or front of the cylinder, to look at it another way). It appears to be an extremely thin join and there is no means of inserting a screwdriver into any gap to prise it apart. Equally, there is no means of turning it or screwing it, to undo it.

Thus, completely stuck - and not as simple as doing up a shoelace!

How do I remove the end cap?! Clearly, it does not just spring out.

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thank you, all, for your assistance.

I have removed the barrel - simple enough. However, I cannot remove the end cap/plug at the end of the pistol (or front of the cylinder, to look at it another way). It appears to be an extremely thin join and there is no means of inserting a screwdriver into any gap to prise it apart. Equally, there is no means of turning it or screwing it, to undo it.

Thus, completely stuck - and not as simple as doing up a shoelace!

How do I remove the end cap?! Clearly, it does not just spring out.

Rgds
    A
    please do not try to remove the end cap at the rear sight end....you will destroy the gun....it was never meant to be touched after assembly.
    Simple use your barrel....the pivot lug ...inserted into the front groove.....obviously its a perfect fit because thats where it operates and simply turn anticlockwise until the spring tension is released .

What clarky said.

Find the idiots guide to airgun strips, and check out posts 26 and 27.

No, I am not doing anything at the rear sight end but only the foresight end.

The problem is that the pivot lug will not budge it, despite the leverage of the barrel and if I place any further pressure on it, I might damage the barrel.

I have now introduced some WD40 to try to free it up and will give it another go in a few minutes.

Probably, it has jammed over the 40 odd years.

This all explains the confusion: I rather presumed I was on the right course but it would not budge.

Rgds
    A

Perier MKII

It's possible that the end plug won't move because of the lacquer finish acting as a bond. I had a similar problem. I inserted a Stanley knife blade in the gap between the cylinder and end plug/barrel pivot and tapped it with a hammer to break the seal. I then gradually worked my way all the way round the joint, and the plug finally moved, but it still took a lot of effort.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Still cannot budge it, despite introduction of WD40.

I will see what I can find in the tool shed tomorrow to persuade it to give.

A

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Still cannot budge it, despite introduction of WD40.

I will see what I can find in the tool shed tomorrow to persuade it to give.

A
    A little heat (gently does it)... or a sharp tap with something non damaging
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    No, I am not doing anything at the rear sight end but only the foresight end.

The problem is that the pivot lug will not budge it, despite the leverage of the barrel and if I place any further pressure on it, I might damage the barrel.

I have now introduced some WD40 to try to free it up and will give it another go in a few minutes.

Probably, it has jammed over the 40 odd years.

This all explains the confusion: I rather presumed I was on the right course but it would not budge.

Rgds
    A
    DON'T USE THE BARREL TO UNDO THE GUIDE! You will bend the barrel if the plug is tight. On the one I did (Mk2 really rough), I cut a thick piece of steel and held it in a vice and then turned the pistol. As has already been mentioned, a bit of heat helps. It might also help to try to tighten the guide a fraction first to break and bond. I have found that a couple of guns ( Premier M2 and the Junior Mk2) have been swines to undo, even though there did not seem to be lacquer sticking.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Thumbs up

Maybe an open ended spanner with the rounded end in the plug slot that a sharp tap with another spanner to crack it?

A short sharp tap will always crack open easier than just sheer grunt pulling at it!!

Oh- Ensure you're turning anti clockwise too or you'll be making it tighter!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

....and purchase some slip on shoes quickly.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

For really stubborn ones in the past i) filed a large hex. bolt head to snug fit edge on into slot so the bolt is the lever
    ii) jam jar trick . Good hard smack on the flat face of plug with mild steel/soft metal cushion between plug and hammer
    iii) as Guy says tighten before slacken
    off it comes!

OK, perhaps tying your shoe laces wasn't the best analogy...

I've never found the Webley front cap stubborn after dismantling numerous Seniors/Premiers/Juniors/Mk1s over the years. But I must admit I've never taken apart a Mk2 Premier before. Maybe I've just been lucky?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    OK, perhaps tying your shoe laces wasn't the best analogy...

I've never found the Webley front cap stubborn after dismantling numerous Seniors/Premiers/Juniors/Mk1s over the years. But I must admit I've never taken apart a Mk2 Premier before. Maybe I've just been lucky?

Same here!! I've had dozens of Steel Webbo's apart and never had to force one ever!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thank you everyone for your advice. I have still made no progress: this one is extremely stubborn and if I apply much more strength, I might experience a hernia but I am going to visit an engineering pal of mine and then see what he can do in his workshop.

At least I am not isolated with this problem: it seems many others have had the same and it might be worth updating the idiot's guide to stripping the Premier 2.

Anyway, I owe many of you a pint. I am hoping to attend Binners' Kempton event, so would be delighted to put faces to the names.

Best rgds to all
    Andrew.