Thread: .25 webley vulcan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post

Whatever happened.. I now want a .25 vulcan!
    LOL.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I'm not sure there would be enough meat in a blank to machine the groove required in a vulcan barrel. If there was, You'd have to be pretty gentle when closing the gun to keep from deforming it.
    I guess the bore of the breech block could be enlarged to allow the full diameter of the blank to be used right up to the breech. Come to think of it, the part of the barrel engaging with the pin could be achieved on one side only, giving extra strength.
    What diameter do the lw / bsa etc blanks come in?
    Donald

I'm not sure there would be enough meat in a blank to machine the groove required in a vulcan barrel. If there was, You'd have to be pretty gentle when closing the gun to keep from deforming it.
    I guess the bore of the breech block could be enlarged to allow the full diameter of the blank to be used right up to the breech. Come to think of it, the part of the barrel engaging with the pin could be achieved on one side only, giving extra strength.
    What diameter do the lw / bsa etc blanks come in?
    Thinking about it Donald,

Increase in bore = 0.25 - 0.22 = 0.03

So decrease in wall thickness = 0.03/2 = 0.015"

If you were worried about the 15thou" decrease in the wall thickness you could increase the groove diameter by 30thou" and just reduce the centre of the latch pin by 15thou".

All the best Mick

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Vulcans should be 20mm cannons

... but I guess .25 is a step in the right direction
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Thinking about it Donald,

Increase in bore = 0.25 - 0.22 = 0.03

So decrease in wall thickness = 0.03/2 = 0.015"

If you were worried about the 15thou" decrease in the wall thickness you could increase the groove diameter by 30thou" and just reduce the centre of the latch pin by 15thou".

All the best Mick
    when you say it like that!!! doesnt sound too bad - all depends on the barrel used I guess.. Ive not got a spare barrel block for the vulcan anymore, so I might have a go at making one - if I ever get this milling attachment made... I had my first shot at welding the other week and it wasnt good Ive got some new much thickerr rods now though, so Im hopeful for the next attempt. problem is Ive got so many wee projects lying about... today I attempted making a front sight for a co2 pistol of Valboskies.. using a hacksaw, a file and a bit of ally.. its just so small and the dovetail so smal as well... didnt work - so I turned my attention to a bsa meteor that was in bits.

Im still on the lookout for a .25, I might sell the hw100 and order a hw95 in .25 from ze germans, but Id settle for a supersport or one of the walnut quattro hatsan 60's.
    Donald

when you say it like that!!! doesnt sound too bad - all depends on the barrel used I guess.. Ive not got a spare barrel block for the vulcan anymore, so I might have a go at making one - if I ever get this milling attachment made... I had my first shot at welding the other week and it wasnt good Ive got some new much thickerr rods now though, so Im hopeful for the next attempt. problem is Ive got so many wee projects lying about... today I attempted making a front sight for a co2 pistol of Valboskies.. using a hacksaw, a file and a bit of ally.. its just so small and the dovetail so smal as well... didnt work - so I turned my attention to a bsa meteor that was in bits.

Im still on the lookout for a .25, I might sell the hw100 and order a hw95 in .25 from ze germans, but Id settle for a supersport or one of the walnut quattro hatsan 60's.
    By way of a bit of food for thought, Donald.

The breech block off a Webley Hawk MK2 fits straight onto a Vulcan giving you the ability to quickly swap barrels as and when you like.

I did have a Vulcan MK3 fitted with a Hawk MK2 breech but I got fed up with it and just put the Vulcan barrel back on.

All the best Mick

aye I mind you telling me that last year, or was it the year before? I had a mk2 hawk with bothe barrels, but in the end I cleaned it up a bit and sold it - it seemed a shame to nick the block off it - the gun had been loft find and hadnt had a mega spring shoved in it and the rear pin holes were perfect... I figured someone would get a lot of pleasure out of it - I sold it to a lad who was looking for one as his first doer upper project.. he was over the moon with it - 80 quid posted and I already done half the work for him lol

I have a vulcan here but its my pride and joy - My grampa bought me it when I was 15 and Ive kept it in really good condition, even having put thousands and thousands of pellets through it. love my vulcans - Ive had about 5 vulcans, a victor, the hawk, a falcon (the one I fume blued).. I really like webleys.. I wonder if they had a bombproof patent on the barrel lockup - I cant understand why other companies didnt copy it?
    Donald

the patriot barrel will not fit blocks wrong