Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .25 webley vulcan

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Vulcans should be 20mm cannons

... but I guess .25 is a step in the right direction
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Thinking about it Donald,

Increase in bore = 0.25 - 0.22 = 0.03

So decrease in wall thickness = 0.03/2 = 0.015"

If you were worried about the 15thou" decrease in the wall thickness you could increase the groove diameter by 30thou" and just reduce the centre of the latch pin by 15thou".

All the best Mick
    when you say it like that!!! doesnt sound too bad - all depends on the barrel used I guess.. Ive not got a spare barrel block for the vulcan anymore, so I might have a go at making one - if I ever get this milling attachment made... I had my first shot at welding the other week and it wasnt good Ive got some new much thickerr rods now though, so Im hopeful for the next attempt. problem is Ive got so many wee projects lying about... today I attempted making a front sight for a co2 pistol of Valboskies.. using a hacksaw, a file and a bit of ally.. its just so small and the dovetail so smal as well... didnt work - so I turned my attention to a bsa meteor that was in bits.

Im still on the lookout for a .25, I might sell the hw100 and order a hw95 in .25 from ze germans, but Id settle for a supersport or one of the walnut quattro hatsan 60's.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    when you say it like that!!! doesnt sound too bad - all depends on the barrel used I guess.. Ive not got a spare barrel block for the vulcan anymore, so I might have a go at making one - if I ever get this milling attachment made... I had my first shot at welding the other week and it wasnt good Ive got some new much thickerr rods now though, so Im hopeful for the next attempt. problem is Ive got so many wee projects lying about... today I attempted making a front sight for a co2 pistol of Valboskies.. using a hacksaw, a file and a bit of ally.. its just so small and the dovetail so smal as well... didnt work - so I turned my attention to a bsa meteor that was in bits.

Im still on the lookout for a .25, I might sell the hw100 and order a hw95 in .25 from ze germans, but Id settle for a supersport or one of the walnut quattro hatsan 60's.
    By way of a bit of food for thought, Donald.

The breech block off a Webley Hawk MK2 fits straight onto a Vulcan giving you the ability to quickly swap barrels as and when you like.

I did have a Vulcan MK3 fitted with a Hawk MK2 breech but I got fed up with it and just put the Vulcan barrel back on.

All the best Mick

aye I mind you telling me that last year, or was it the year before? I had a mk2 hawk with bothe barrels, but in the end I cleaned it up a bit and sold it - it seemed a shame to nick the block off it - the gun had been loft find and hadnt had a mega spring shoved in it and the rear pin holes were perfect... I figured someone would get a lot of pleasure out of it - I sold it to a lad who was looking for one as his first doer upper project.. he was over the moon with it - 80 quid posted and I already done half the work for him lol

I have a vulcan here but its my pride and joy - My grampa bought me it when I was 15 and Ive kept it in really good condition, even having put thousands and thousands of pellets through it. love my vulcans - Ive had about 5 vulcans, a victor, the hawk, a falcon (the one I fume blued).. I really like webleys.. I wonder if they had a bombproof patent on the barrel lockup - I cant understand why other companies didnt copy it?
    Donald

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Ahem, as I said above () ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    I had a factory spec .25 Webley & Scott springer break-barrel Patriot on my F.A.C. a few years back, and said Patriot dated firmly to the Vulcan era, so wonder if your mates Vulcan is a hybrid of a regular Vulcan fitted with a Patriot barrel?

That stacks up as being possible in m book, as it was possible to order a Patriot .25 sub 12ft.lb at that time, thus eliminating the need for RFD and/or Proof House intervention, so in theory, it was potentially possible to order a .25 barrel off ticket back in the day? Just a (hopefully helpful) thought?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I had a mid 90's Webley Excel in .25

I'm certain it wasn't cobbled together from Patriot parts so I don't see why a genuine .25 Vulcan couldn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post

I had a mid 90's Webley Excel in .25

I'm certain it wasn't cobbled together from Patriot parts so I don't see why a genuine .25 Vulcan couldn't exist.
    Didn't suggest 'cobbled together from Patriot parts' but merely mooted that the same barrel blanks sourced for the .25 Patriot (which was also mostly only available in .22, as I can testify, as have had several of them in .22 on my ticket, too), may have also been used for the Vulcan in question -- as I would also proffer they were for the .25 Excel as well?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

So, this could be:

1. A regular factory item that none of us (or Chris Thrale in his book) have heard of.
    2. A special factory order.
    3. A bitsa (would a Patriot barrel fit a Vulcan? I thought the commonality was Patriot with Omega.)
    4. A one-off aftermarket conversion.

We need detail. Pictures, serial numbers, provenance....

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

So, this could be:

1. A regular factory item that none of us (or Chris Thrale in his book) have heard of.
    3. A bitsa (would a Patriot barrel fit a Vulcan? I thought the commonality was Patriot with Omega.)

1) A very valid point and one well worth noting. Well brought up.

2) A possibility, but as far as I remember, Webley & Scott didn't do completely one-off bespoke specials, just limited edition specials to a set number -- and as you say, if Chris doesn't detail a .25 Vulcan in this arena, imho, that rules this option out, too?

3) Can't rule this out completely, because as the diameter of a Patriot, Omega, Vulcan Mk.II and Vulcan Mk.III barrel (not the Vulcan Mk.I however) are the same (just checked), this is feasible?

and ...

4) Although I'd like to somehow link the .25 Vulcan being discussed here to the Webley & Scott factory direct in some way (doing so appeals to my fondness for the factory that was), I think this may be the most likely, but as you say, photos will help carry this cyber conversation forward me thinks?

Good thread this, thoroughly enjoying it.

The idea of a .25" Excel is also intriguing. But Chris' book makes no mention, and I don't recall them from back in the day. Can anyone provide a contemporary advert, article, or review to suggest they were a factory item?

The idea of a .25" Excel is also intriguing. But Chris' book makes no mention, and I don't recall them from back in the day. Can anyone provide a contemporary advert, article, or review to suggest they were a factory item?
    Ditto all as above ...

So, this could be:

There was talk on here many moons ago of another .25" Vulcan.

I shall have another search later to see if I can find the relevant thread.

All the best Mick

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Intriguing. Never heard of a factory one.

Of course, some big dealers did special order non-standard calibres, like MAG's .25" BSA Cobra Strike Magnum (sounds like a really bad 80s action movie).

Would love to learn more.

Oh, and it's Steve Harley from Cockney Rebel. Who also invented the motorcycle.
    A 'Harley' is not a real motorcycle. They were intended for agricultural use, pulling ploughs and such like. When they're not broken down, that is...

Come on Gareth, lets 'ave it!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Thanks

Thanks chaps .
    If it surfaces again and I happen to have a camera handy
    Very interesting piece it was .

Quote Originally Posted by Hellequin View Post

A 'Harley' is not a real motorcycle. They were intended for agricultural use, pulling ploughs and such like. When they're not broken down, that is...

Come on Gareth, lets 'ave it!
    Right. That's it. You've asked for it, there's no going back, now, so I challenge you to a dual and given the subject of this thread, I choose Webley Air Pistols in .25 at dawn !!!