Thread: Bsf bavaria 55

Bsf bavaria 55

I acquired one today just wondering what they are worth as I have a mate at work who is a collecter so I don't want to rip him off or short change myself. It's a complete 177 but has some surface rust it has a period scope on top but not sure if it's the original. Thanks thunder

I snagged a couple at auction in the last year or so, both in 80-85% condition. One has a couple of small rust patches and needed a rear sight and cost me £114 all in. The other was at the higher end of 85%, and no bits missing, but around the same price, maybe a bit higher (can't find the invoice). Both times felt I had got lucky.

In general, I would say that presentable standard 55s go for £150-175, in private sales, depending on demand. Mint, or Nussbaum (walnut), 200-plus. From a dealer, add a third to a half to those prices.

I think you were indeed lucky with those Geezer. For BSF'S it's usually a case of a small number of keen buyers. There was a 55 in BAR last year priced at 230 which I thought was very reasonable from a big dealer. I think.your valuations are accurate but much of what pops up on the more famous sales websites are often overpriced, sometimes over the £300 mark. Not sure if there's takers at those sort of prices.

I sold a very tidy BSF55 .177 at the last Melbourne Fair for £140 (?).
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

This illustrates the problem with valuations. I have no idea how rusty the OP's gun is. It could be badly pitted, or easily fixed with fine wire wool and oil.

A dealer could easily ask £250, but would they get it? Your brother in laws' cousin might ask £50 or £75 for the same thing. Who is right?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiethunder View Post
    I would pass, but I own two in better nick (see above) but that's an OK price between mates. Hard to tell from pics how bad the rust is and how well it would clean up, the scope is probably not very good and may either be knackered or on its last legs, and the missing front sight is an issue.

But it's still a 55, and (heresy) if you broke it, you would get £100+ for the parts.

Can you shoot it before purchase, letting you get an idea of the condition of the internals?

Anyway, if you like the idea of owning one, I reckon it is - just - worth a punt.

Bsf bavaria 55

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiethunder View Post
    Yes offer him £80 as it needs cleaning up & the old scopes worthless. the open sights on these are very good to use actually.

Cheers lads for the replies.. I'm the one selling it. I'll offer it to him for 90quid if he doesn't want it I'll put it up for sale on here. Thanks again thunder

Hi

I bought this from a friend that's local to me for £100 and sent it to a fella that was on this forum as he needed one to complete his BSF collection, He seemed happy enough with the gun even though it needed reblueing!
    He covered postage and sent me a drink too which I wasn't expecting!!

B55 Left side

B55 Right side

The bloke I bought it from had tried reblueing it himself with a cold concoction, It was rough

Dunno why but when I started reading this post I was thinking it was a Walther mod55, A friend of a friend is selling one for a very reasonable price, It looks a beauty too so I was hoping to save me pennies and buy it but we got news at work yesterday that a huuuuge transformer has gone with a bang so we'll be laid off for at least 8 weeks- That's if they can repair it, If not then it may be months

Looks like i'll be selling instead of buying!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Really sorry to hear that, John. Fingers crossed for you.

Lovely LG55T in your link. Don't suppose that is what your friend is selling?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Really sorry to hear that, John. Fingers crossed for you.

Lovely LG55T in your link. Don't suppose that is what your friend is selling?

It's what my pals pal is selling!!, Think I may still afford it yet!!

It may have gone already though!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/