Thread: AA S400 regulator?

AA S400 regulator?

Should I fit a regulator to an S400? I'm mainly benchrest due to age/fitness so a wide sweet spot could be useful.

If Yes, which one?
    if No, why?

your feedback appreciated..

ttfn
    N.
    TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

Quote Originally Posted by LewesNick View Post
    Should I fit a regulator to an S400? I'm mainly benchrest due to age/fitness so a wide sweet spot could be useful.

If Yes, which one?
    if No, why?

ttfn
    N.
    Hi mate my names Toady first what range are you shooting Bench Rest and is it serious bench Rest?
    And is it indoors or outdoors?
    What calibre sir?
    Last edited by Zero58; 27-02-2017 at 01:01 PM.
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Filling to 170ish bar puts you into the sweet spot with a .177 AA400, standard length will give you 50+ consistently good shots before it drops off around 100bar, a carbine version less. Fitting a reg will let you fill it to 200 bar and therefore get more....but to get the best out of it you need to "tune" the hammer and spring to the reg as well. The 400 is consistent without a reg, sticking one in adds something to the rifle that can go wrong, usually just when you don't want it to. I'd rather leave it as is and never considered it for mine, if you're planning on extended shooting I'd get an extra 3 or 4 litre bottle to take to the range to top it up if needed.

Apart from the small inconvenience of refilling, you don't need to have loads of shots in the rifle for bench rest, as you'd be able to top up when needed.

To flatten the already pretty flat power curve, invest in a long cylinder. It will add forward weight which is no bad thing for bench rest, it doesn't have any moving parts or O rings to leak, it doesn't need setting up (other than fitting once) and it will be half the price of a regulator.

NSRA competition bench rest is usually over 20 or 25 yards. A few feet per second variation in MV is barely going to be noticeable, and the variation in pellet weight and fit is as much a factor.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by LewesNick View Post

If Yes, which one?
    if No, why?

ttfn
    N.
    had the 200, 400 and 410 and the air arms suppressors/silencers were all adequate. but i seemed to always go to my BSA. with AA it means buying an adaptor. simple slip on. HTH.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Apart from the small inconvenience of refilling, you don't need to have loads of shots in the rifle for bench rest, as you'd be able to top up when needed.

To flatten the already pretty flat power curve, invest in a long cylinder. It will add forward weight which is no bad thing for bench rest, it doesn't have any moving parts or O rings to leak, it doesn't need setting up (other than fitting once) and it will be half the price of a regulator.

NSRA competition bench rest is usually over 20 or 25 yards. A few feet per second variation in MV is barely going to be noticeable, and the variation in pellet weight and fit is as much a factor.
    What the (much better qualified than me) man said.

I've been experimenting with my S400 with the Classic 400mm cylinder for some time now. I've found that for 70 shots from around 170 bar to around 110 bar, the power curve itself accounts for approximately 6 fps (765 -771 fps) using JSB Exacts. All other things being equal, this would give a maximum spread from the power curve alone of around 0.3 inch at 60 yards and about 0.05 inch at 25 yards. For 25 shots the spread would be around 0.14 inch at 60 yards and .015 inch at 25 yards. My HFT 500 with a 480 mm cylinder gives around 100 shots in the 6 fps range.

I hope this helps. What it boils down to is that for my purposes - mainly HFT - a regulator in these guns would just be something to cost money, go wrong and leak.

Alan