Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Delrin Bar

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Loving this thread, chaps.

And, the last time I looked, the direct plastics on-line website was excellent for information as to the qualities and suitability of various engineering plastics.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Delrin has good abrasion resistance and rigidity, once installed it's good for many thousand shots, PTFE is a bugger to swell with age and expand with temp, add to which delrin/acetal is easily available and quite cheap.
    Dont make the mistake of thinking Delrin is merely a trade name for acetal.....it isnt.
    The acetal produced by Du Pont and called Delrin is much better than regular acetal....it is also more expensive.
    If you can get Delrin get it.
    I have never quite understood why all tuners use white, when Black has exactly the same characteristics and looks much better down inside cocking slots.
    Jury is out for me at the moment in regard of top hats and guide rods though...
    I have discovered some quite eye opening issues .....but its ideal for these piston bearings if you can manage to glue them in correctly.

Delrin makes excellent piston buttons for smoother cocking of spring rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Delrin makes excellent piston buttons for smoother cocking of spring rifles.
    Yes it does ....provided the drilled hole is super cleaned with alchohol and you use something like loctite 480 ....otherwise the darn things can come adrift.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    I have never quite understood why all tuners use white, when Black has exactly the same characteristics and looks much better down inside cocking slots.
    I could tell you that white machines better and in Marketing research tests it came out that the consumer reacted 27% more positively to the white. Both these are true!

However, I am scared of spiders, and catching sight of a small piece of black swarf out of the corner of your eye while working on the lathe and jumping away screaming like a girl is generally considered bad form!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    Where to get green Delrin for machining into O rings for HW piston or can I buy Delrin O rings
    and when looking on You tube it always seems to be green.Why ?
    I think that you are talking about Oilon not Delrin.

A.G

Yes it does ....provided the drilled hole is super cleaned with alchohol and you use something like loctite 480 ....otherwise the darn
    things can come adrift.
    The appropriate adhesieve is a kind of superglue reinforced with rubber particles. This allows for some impact shock protection. The Loctite version is very expensive but I managed to get a small bottle from Techsil, Toughened Cayanoacrylate 80. They are still not cheap but nowhere near Loctite version.
    https://www.techsil.co.uk/techsil-to...0HwaAoLq8P8HAQ

A.G

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    The appropriate adhesieve is a kind of superglue reinforced with rubber particles. This allows for some impact shock protection. The Loctite version is very expensive but I managed to get a small bottle from Techsil, Toughened Cayanoacrylate 80. They are still not cheap but nowhere near Loctite version.
    https://www.techsil.co.uk/techsil-to...0HwaAoLq8P8HAQ

A.G
    I use a slot drill to get a flat bottomed hole and use Loctite 2216 A/B...If you think about it the button can go no-where if done like this, and guns I did 6-7 years ago are still working fine as far as I know.

ATB, Ed

Dont make the mistake of thinking Delrin is merely a trade name for acetal.....it isnt.
    The acetal produced by Du Pont and called Delrin is much better than regular acetal....it is also more expensive.
    If you can get Delrin get it.
    Jury is out for me at the moment in regard of top hats and guide rods though...
    I have discovered some quite eye opening issues .....but its ideal for these piston bearings if you can manage to glue them in correctly.
    I use delrin as a catch all term for the different grades as in reality it makes little difference in the rifle.

When it comes to top hats I use alloy, steel, brass or delrin purely as a function of weight, it really doesn't matter what its made of as long as its dimensions are precise.

When it comes to spring guides I make mine mostly from alloy or steel now as bending tests convinced me delrin is not stiff enough, especially in longer strokes or if your inletting the guide in the end block, if you size a steel or alloy guide to a precise sliding fit with a polished surface they are as smooth and quiet as a delrin one but stiffer and more vibration resistant.

Downside is it takes a lot longer to make.

I use delrin as a catch all term for the different grades as in reality it makes little difference in the rifle.

When it comes to top hats I use alloy, steel, brass or delrin purely as a function of weight, it really doesn't matter what its made of as long as its dimensions are precise.

When it comes to spring guides I make mine mostly from alloy or steel now as bending tests convinced me delrin is not stiff enough, especially in longer strokes or if your inletting the guide in the end block, if you size a steel or alloy guide to a precise sliding fit with a polished surface they are as smooth and quiet as a delrin one but stiffer and more vibration resistant.

Downside is it takes a lot longer to make.
    There was a company in the US that used to make the guides out of stainless steel and they claimed that they were the best on the market, perhaps there is something there specially as their guns are not sub 12 pea shooters.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    There was a company in the US that used to make the guides out of stainless steel and they claimed that they were the best on the market, perhaps there is something there specially as their guns are not sub 12 pea shooters.

A.G
    The downside to steel and alloy is the fit, it has to be so that if you hold the spring upright and place the guide into it, it doesn't fall in, but , it needs just a little pressure with your finger to slide it in, as you can imagine it takes a few very fine passes on the lathe then a few minutes polishing to get it right.

The downside to steel and alloy is the fit, it has to be so that if you hold the spring upright and place the guide into it, it doesn't fall in, but , it needs just a little pressure with your finger to slide it in, as you can imagine it takes a few very fine passes on the lathe then a few minutes polishing to get it right.
    I like em baggy these days

Well , not baggy as such , but not snug .

I think having a square end is helpful
    Last edited by hmangphilly; 21-02-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    I like em baggy these days
    I much prefer Stainless steel but only because i make my own on the lathe where i can home in on a beautiful mirror finish sliding fit.
    They are stronger and more dependable and i just hate introducing plastics into a fine gun.
    in some cases Delrin flexes away from the perfect straight line and can yield at the base but i find the fact that they score on the surface after time the most annoying.

Also for the top hat which really gets a pounding.....if you do not want the bit of piston weighting of the steel you can always bore out the hat until it weighs just a few grams.
    Something like a 12 dia rod and rim to suit your piston x say 3mm lenght their drilled through with a 10 dia drill will reduce much of the weight but you get a reliable long life top hat.

Green bar

Oilon Green bar ordered I will let you know the outcome
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Two200's View Post
    Tried to make a spring guide from this once - very easy for the tool to leave marks when turning.

The only way I could get it smooth was to really move fast when turning.
    It was very odd.

Maybe ok for bearings etc. But a bugger to turn for a guide.
    What did you do - sprint round the lathe?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.