Thread: Retained energy - .22 vs .177

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    honestly i have no clue how to calculate a BC "accurately", for it to be correct in value. I don't care since calculations like that always base on some mathematical model with all kind of fancy constants to make it right.

personally i would just take the chrony MEASURED velocity at your range lets say 25yards and divide it by the chrony MEASURED muzzle velocity, to get the idea about the loss of speed over the distance at certain speed for a certain barrel/pellet combo.
    It is a shame i cant do the experiment for JSBs here legally. But if you look at tables in my second link, he does list his chrony results for various pellets for both low power PAL versus 25fpe+, and indeed the ratio between the speed at 25yards versus muzzle: IS interestingly better for high power for JSB diabolo! so there is a sweetspot in speed.

RWS hobby on the other hand is better at lower energies, at medium and high speed it looses way too much speed way too fast.

i am sure when he was drawing his curves based on his experimental data he just connected the dots like kids do, hence the smoothing.
    Last edited by krisko; 28-02-2017 at 07:03 AM.