Thread: Anyone use locksmith's graphite in comp tube/cylinder ?

Smile Anyone use locksmith's graphite in comp tube/cylinder ?

In the process of re-building a springer and have run out of dry-slide so was wondering if I could use fine graphite powder instead, just in the cylinder, as I have loads of the stuff ? Can't think of a reason why not but then I'm not too clever with this sort of thing. Thanks.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    In the process of re-building a springer and have run out of dry-slide so was wondering if I could use fine graphite powder instead, just in the cylinder, as I have loads of the stuff ? Can't think of a reason why not but then I'm not too clever with this sort of thing. Thanks.
    You can definitely use it, but I didn't think it was as slippery as molybdenum disulphide - however, see below.

An excellent and easy to understand (for a simpleton like me) article here
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Interesting article that, thanks. I use Moly paste on other parts so I guess I could use that in the cylinder/comp tube making sure to polish it off after applying but I think the problem I could find with just the graphite powder is that it won't stick without a carrier. Maybe I'm wrong here ?

I asked this question recently on another forum and was told to leave it alone as there were more modern, better things to use.

I've just bought a can of spray moly for £15, it seems the stuff Abbey used to make for the job is no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    I asked this question recently on another forum and was told to leave it alone as there were more modern, better things to use.
    Quoting from the paper I linked to:
    Graphite blends and pure graphite dry film lubricant systems are commonly used in applications such as hot and cold forming, wire drawing and billet coatings; on high-speed cutting tools; as a mold release for die cast, plastic and rubber mold applications; cylinder head and exhaust bolts; ammunition and armament applications; automotive engine and many common industrial applications.

It may be old but it still has its uses, today. I don't know who it was now, but there's at least one BBS'r who swears by it.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I'm now wondering if I use graphite in the cylinder it may adversely affect the efficiency of the synthetic seal in some way. Don't the seals, both leather and synthetic require a tiny amount of oil to work properly? ? My other concern about the graphite is that if used in the cylinder a small amount may get into the barrel on firing which could cause accuracy problems, a bit like a badly or unevenly Moly coated centre fire rifle barrel. What do you guys, that do this sort of thing all the time use in the cylinder when re-buliding a gun, do you use anything in the comp tube or just leave it dry ?

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    I'm now wondering if I use graphite in the cylinder it may adversely affect the efficiency of the synthetic seal in some way. Don't the seals, both leather and synthetic require a tiny amount of oil to work properly? ? My other concern about the graphite is that if used in the cylinder a small amount may get into the barrel on firing which could cause accuracy problems, a bit like a badly or unevenly Moly coated centre fire rifle barrel. What do you guys, that do this sort of thing all the time use in the cylinder when re-buliding a gun, do you use anything in the comp tube or just leave it dry ?
    If I used graphite powder, I'd use it dry and burnish it in, just as with moly powder. There would be practically no surplus to get in to the barrel.

If I was relying on the graphite or molypowder to provide the lubrication, I wouldn't oil the seals.

However, many roads lead to Rome. Given that most springers are pretty easy to disassemble/reassemble, why don't you just give it a try and see how it performs? Who knows, you might discover the Holy Grail!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.