Thread: Which Pistol?

Which Pistol?

Hi looking to buy a pistol preferably .177 with red dot /scope mount or with and max power for vermin lastly easy to handle for my grandaughter , my Fac 500 mossy tad too big ,suggestions please beit secondhand /new and any offers ,emails & messages will be answered hooray our Broadband is now fixed, Mel.

.177 pistol your granddaughter can hold, for vermin control, instead of a pump action shotgun?

Pistol

OOOh does'nt take long does it? A pistol is a good way to get into shooting beit targets or vermin then you progress and then for what I have in my cupboard she can have a choice.Bsa standards , Benjamin Franklin pump, Sharp Innova, Bsa Cadet, .17 hmr .22lr .223 . mossberg 500 Fac 12g Beretta 12g, 3 Hatsans ,Army&Navy csl 1886 etc etc. so a pistol is ideal to start with yes. I am also a BASC member.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Discussion of pistols as hunting tools is not allowed on here...humane dispatch perhaps, but the consensus is that they are not accurate or powerful enough to kill humanely and reliably.

If you want something small and handy for pest control, you might consider a Crosman Ratcatcher or similar carbine?
    Good deals with these members

With such a vast armoury - why on earth would you pick a pistol for vermin control then?

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    they are not accurate or powerful enough to kill humanely and reliably.
    Particularly in the hands of a 9 yr old beginner

pistols

Quote Originally Posted by wsnap View Post
    Particularly in the hands of a 9 yr old beginner
    The girl is 16 and the vermin are in a backgarden with houses either side . If one cannot discuss vermin when talking about guns the forum to me is pointless and no longer want to be associated with tin town cowboys.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by kamyonsofor View Post
    The girl is 16 and the vermin are in a backgarden with houses either side . If one cannot discuss vermin when talking about guns the forum to me is pointless and no longer want to be associated with tin town cowboys.
    You can discuss vermin, and hunting, and pistols, but not hunting vermin with pistols.

Thems the rules matey - we don't have many here, but that's one of them.

In what scenario do you think a pistol is a better tool than a carbine, for humane pest control?
    Good deals with these members

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    I sometimes get a rat sitting on the edge of the little patio outside my back door. I can't use an air rifle looking straight down and left from the upstairs toilet window, and I certainly can't use any of my shotguns, so a pistol is the only choice. So far this has only happened once, but my Crossman 2240 did the job perfectly.
    Mark