Thread: Why do elite air pistol shooters stand side on?

Why do elite air pistol shooters stand side on?

I have been watching the issf channel on you tube (yes I am an anorak!) and every shooter in the final of any event you care to watch stand side on (feet in line with the target). There must be a very good reason for this because it stands to reason that not every shooter has the same physiology. So the question is why do they all do it?

I have tried this method several times and it turns me into a novice each session so I go back to my comfortable 45 degree-ish stance and I go back to normal (better than novice!)

It is the most common natural point of aim for most people. Here is a little tidbit explaining it. http://www.ammoland.com/2016/03/natural-point-of-aim/
    If you are already aiming for the exact center of everything, then the target’s size shouldn’t matter — the center of a beach ball is just as big as the center of an aspirin tablet. -Byron Ferguson

Sideways has to do with yr zero position; you want to get on target without strain. The 45 degree stance is way altered as well. Modern stance is 20 degrees. (or starts with 20, from there you personalize).
    But what you probably mean, is that they change their normal match stance to completely side on in finals?
    For AP I dont know, for bigbore I can understand as I think its more recoil effective (faster recovery). Dunno wether finals are timed, but that may be an issue
    ATB,
    yana

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric fwb 65 View Post
    I have been watching the issf channel on you tube (yes I am an anorak!) and every shooter in the final of any event you care to watch stand side on (feet in line with the target). There must be a very good reason for this because it stands to reason that not every shooter has the same physiology. So the question is why do they all do it?

I have tried this method several times and it turns me into a novice each session so I go back to my comfortable 45 degree-ish stance and I go back to normal (better than novice!)
    I get on much better side on than at 45 deg. It's much easier to maintain a relaxed balance and I think fewer muscles are involved. It takes a little getting used to but definitely works better for me.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    At a World Cup or any top line International you will see any variation from side on to 45 degree's, all shooting similar scores.

The current coaching flavour is closer to side on, it is supposed to help tension the muscles and tendons, but it needs a degree of flexibility from the shooter to cope so is more seen in younger shooters.
    Last edited by RobinC; 22-02-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    It puts the sights further away from the eye so small aiming errors are more obvious. It is not easy for most, but most can do it with practice and it becomes "natural" and "comfortable and "stable" over time. I was taught by a really good precision pistol shooter and his preferred stance was actually facing slightly away from the target, aiming by looking over his shoulder. He did not teach this and recognised that it was quirky, but it worked for him.

[Edit: This is of course only helpful for precision disciplines or where two handed grip is prohibited in competition]
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I shoot like that because I am a Gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I shoot like that because I am a Gentleman.
    Top of the morning to you Sir

And to you Mark.
    But I'm not an Irish Gentleman.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    And of course is the preferred stance for a gentleman duellist, presents a smaller target to the opponent don'tchaknow.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Yet another reason for the stance is that the further you are away from the sights, the more precise a sight picture you will have.
    Good deals with these members

If you faced the other way you would shoot the judges.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk