Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superdome vs Superfield

Superdome vs Superfield

I am familiar with RWS Superdomes in 22 and use them in my HW99s.

Never tried the Superfields. I notice they come in two head sizes (5.51 and 5.52) and are about a grain heavier than Superdome. Price is about the same.

Does anybody with a Weihrauch springer prefer the Fields over the Domes?

I get good results with Domes, but there are too many which are a loose fit in the barrel. I was thinking of trying the Fields with the bigger skirt size.

NB. I am asking about the 22 calibre pellets, not the 177.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

The last 'Weihrauch' I had was a 95k in .177 and it loved both but I can't vouch for .22 Weihrauch's, the only .22 I have at the moment is a 'TXhc' and that also likes em both but overall I think prefers the 'fields' in a 5.52 head size, much the same as 'AA Diabolo fields' suit it...

You're right about the inconsistent fit with the 'domes' though, but to be honest it doesn't seem to make much difference accuracy wise or at least I don't notice it...

Domes are 14.5grn and Fields are 15.9grn which equates to about 0.5fpe difference between the 2 through my TX...

Thanks for the reply.

Think I'll give the 5.52s a try.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

If they are anything like the .177 then they are good pellets as a rule, my evo loves them, more accurate than the jsb.
    I never liked the .22 domes but I'll be trying .22 supers in my R10 when I get it painfully waiting!!!!
    I think they present excellent value as they are quite a lot cheaper than the leading brands but seem to perform well.
    I'd be happy to buy 1/2 a tin off you for testing if you find they aren't great in your gun
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

For some reason ( hard lead alloy? ) they don't make much ME in my guns compared to the good old boring JSBs.

A.G

I have used the superdomes in my pre charge rifles, but they don't take to them as well as the superfields, which run well in all my rifles, both pre charge and break barrel springer and gas ram. If I want a budget pellet that is almost as good as Air Arms, JSB and Daystate, then I go for the Superfield, and they cost £4 per tin less in .22

superdomes have the rim, i think they can hurt breech o rings (in pcp), definitely trouble to load them. I can also hear them fly i.e. high pitch noise

superfields never grouped for me unfortunately.

Rws superdomes , the name itself is misleading as they're virtually a wadcutter , bc is terrible in 22 hw95 and not overly accurate. Hobbies are strangely very accurate in same rifle , not shot enough superfields to give definitive answer regardin acuracy , but definitely lumpier firing cycle.

I've always been hesitant about trying the .22 Superfields in my sub-12 springers, as I think the lighter and medium weight pellets will be kinder to the internals and give a nicer firing cycle (obviously subject to set-up).

For this reason, I still have an opened tin of AA Fields in .22. Yes, apparently, the BC is superior to 'Domes, so velocity retention will be better, but I'm not so keen on trying these heavier pellets.

I now have some of the Jumbo RS variants which I'll be exploring soon. 13.4 grains, if I remember correctly, and the same as FAPs?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I've always been hesitant about trying the .22 Superfields in my sub-12 springers, as I think the lighter and medium weight pellets will be kinder to the internals and give a nicer firing cycle (obviously subject to set-up).

For this reason, I still have an opened tin of AA Fields in .22. Yes, apparently, the BC is superior to 'Domes, so velocity retention will be better, but I'm not so keen on trying these heavier pellets.

I now have some of the Jumbo RS variants which I'll be exploring soon. 13.4 grains, if I remember correctly, and the same as FAPs?

Give them a go, Tone. I have got good results from 'fields in a variety of sub-12 springers - and they are the best pellet I have tried in my 5.5 ft/lbs 5.6mm bore BSA Scorpion (the real Scorpion pistol, not the PCP thing that reused the name).

IIRC, modern 'domes are a different pellet from those of ten or more years ago. Which is a shame, as, back then, put through my three tuned 77s (all 25mm ) and comparing them to contemporary boxed 7.9gn Premiers, one shot Prems slightly better, one Superdomes, and the other was a dead heat.

Funny things these boingers...

Cheers, Geez.

As I already have some, I'll give these AA Fields a try and see what I think as regards firing cycle. It'll be interesting to try them back to back with the lighter 'Domes at longer range, to see if their superior BC makes up for the lower start velocity.

I was going to get some .177 Superfields when I next visit my RWS stockist; looks like I might be getting a tin of the .22s too!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Cheers, Geez.

As I already have some, I'll give these AA Fields a try and see what I think as regards firing cycle. It'll be interesting to try them back to back with the lighter 'Domes at longer range, to see if their superior BC makes up for the lower start velocity.

I was going to get some .177 Superfields when I next visit my RWS stockist; looks like I might be getting a tin of the .22s too!
    If you can hang on til the Bash I've an opened (but full) tin of .177 Superfield which you're welcome to try. Save buying a tin if you don't already know they work...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Cheers, Geez.
    (Snigger)
    That took me right back to my school days/ apprentice days. Portsmouth dockyard to be bang on...
    "Alright mush., Cuont give us a rizla cudya?? Orr cheers geez!!!"
    Nice one!!! Lol

Or "cuont weld that up for us cudya?"!!
    "You got well loads there mate, give it over?"... "Second dibbs mush"

Classic
    Last edited by rhyslightnin; 22-02-2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: My god it's difficult writing slang with bleeding spell check!!!!! Lol
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post
    If you can hang on til the Bash I've an opened (but full) tin of .177 Superfield which you're welcome to try. Save buying a tin if you don't already know they work...
    I've got two full tins too!!! Tis the only thing the .177 barrel on me evo should be fed!!

Cheers, Geez.

Ohhhhh.., can I try some of ya .22's through me R10 when I've prised it from Dave's hands???!!!