Thread: Woe is me what to do?

Woe is me what to do?

Hi Just back into Air guns. I am looking to buy a HW100 or HW 110 or BSA R10. BUT I have been stopped in my tracks. The HWs are it seems plagued with barrel problems and the BSA gets bad reviews to the point that some owners say they need them blueprinted ( whatever that is) and new regulator fitted. (£200 ish) Life is not easy and spending money is even harder. The RFDs Ive met simply say "No problem give us the cash" HELP/ADVISE much appreciated.

From what I understand, the hw100 barrel issue was a while ago and fairly limited. I too came across this when I was looking and did a bit of digging.

FWIW I've recently bought a new hw100 and its boringly good. As accurate and consistent as any more expensive steyr, fwb etc that I've owned in the past.

Don't think it matters which rifle you do research on, you'll always find someone who's had a bad experience. The hundreds that had no problems don't make the news.

Hope this helps a bit.

HI Frank
    at the end of the day it will come down to personal preference, I can tell you I have had HW 100 KT ,2 Daystate Airwolfs, Air Arms 410, 2 BSA Ultras, FX Wildcat plus a few others but the only ones I have left are the HW 100KT and the 2 Ultras, what I can say about the HW it is very accurate bomb proof, build quality is excellent and it has the best magazine loading system of any air rifle made
    Lloyd
    Last edited by Lloyd57; 27-02-2017 at 12:06 PM.

As said above, its a bit like car breakdowns. People are quick enough to tell you about the car with the bonnet up on the hard shoulder they saw on the way to work this morning or the really expensive car they saw on the back of the recovery truck but they don't come in and tell you how many cars they passed that didn't have a problem.
    The manufacturers obviously make items with the intentions of them working and being reliable, not to hide known issues.

Go with what you like best and I am sure you will be pleased as punch with it. If it does develop a fault, cross that bridge when you get to it.

I love am a but bias as I love the R10 but my dilemma is between the R10 in black pepper or a Brocock Bantam Hi-Lite in black

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    As above if you dig deep enough, you will find someone who has had a problem with every gun - I honestly can't think of any exceptions, whether it's a £2000 PCP supergun or a £200 springer.
    It's part and parcel of the digital age; something very rare or niche can seem very common just by virtue of the fact that if something goes wrong then people tend to shout quite loudly about it.
    Good deals with these members

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    It's like any mechanical device, now and again something can go wrong !
    Same with Airguns but the majority are fine !
    Suspect from your location, you may have or are considering a visit to BAR ?
    I'd pop in at a time when they're "not too busy" and handle a few air rifles. If you're like me, you'll know when you've picked up the right gun !
    “An airgun or two”………

[QUOTE=FrankG;7205616]Hi Just back into Air guns. I am looking to buy a HW100 or HW 110 or BSA R10. BUT I have been stopped in my tracks. The HWs are it seems plagued with barrel problems and the BSA gets bad reviews to the point that some owners say they need them blueprinted ( whatever that is) and new regulator fitted. (£200 ish) Life is not easy and spending money is even harder. The RFDs Ive met simply say "No problem give us the cash" HELP/ADVISE much

"The HWs are it seems plagued with barrel problems"
    Not that old chestnut from last year
    Just brought a HW110 it's pellet on pellet at 40yds Falcon pellets that is and a bonus is no matter how heavy your scope the weight of the rifle and scope stay well balanced at the shoulder and stays locked on target right through the 180 degrees hell of a killing machine.
    From Toady
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Smile Woe is me what to do

Thanks guys. Great forum. Good experienced advise, freely given and no stick, doesn't get any better than that. And it looks like the HW 100 by a nose with the HW!!0 on price. PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you have any other views.Just joined a club so that will hopefully help and bought a cheapie springer as an intro. My best to date is, I hit a piece of A4 at 15yds. Quite pleased with that, I am ready to go hunting, now all I need are some barn doors that need taking out.

Woe is me what to do

Thanks for that Zero I fancy a HW110. It is only by listening to the views of people like you that I can get this mass of possibly misleading info into some form of balance. My lack of experience forces me to rely on what I read on other sites but I can't check the sources or the veracity of those posts. Other posters mentioned that reports of a couple of problems quickly flood the social media sites and are possibly out of proportion. ( Car on trailer/bonnet up syndrome) perhaps. Thanks again. All help/comments gratefully received. And a big thank you to date it is slowly falling into place.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
    Hi Just back into Air guns. I am looking to buy a HW100 or HW 110 or BSA R10. BUT I have been stopped in my tracks. The HWs are it seems plagued with barrel problems and the BSA gets bad reviews to the point that some owners say they need them blueprinted ( whatever that is) and new regulator fitted. (£200 ish) Life is not easy and spending money is even harder. The RFDs Ive met simply say "No problem give us the cash" HELP/ADVISE much appreciated.
    Hi there I have had a hw100kt in .22 a mk2 bsa r10 .22 and I could not fault either rifle but the mag system is better on the hw than on the r10. Both where more accurate than I could be with them, I know own a bsa r10 in .177 and an ultra se in .177 the only reason I kept the r10 over the hw was how they felt when shouldered. To me the r10 felt more natural and fitted me better. I would go and try all the guns you can at an rfd and choose what fits you and you like the most.