Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quietest screw on silencer?

Question Quietest screw on silencer?

Apologies if this has been asked before but I've been out of the loop with air rifles for years.
    I'm after a very quiet silencer for my BSA Ultra SE 22 for garden plinking. I'm using a Swift Stubby which is small but really suited to rimfire.
    The last time I looked years ago the Weihrauch silencer was the gold standard, but I'm wondering if there is anything that has surpassed it yet? A bit of Googling says the Hogan Decimeater is good too but does it compare or is there something even better?
    I don't want to spend crazy money on a one off custom, and if other things equal the smallest and least expensive is best.
    Thanks in advance.

secretagentmole Guest
    Thing is it depends on the gun, like pellets, each gun varies as to what will be quietest on it!

But as a rule the HW is usually fairly good, so is the Hogan, a Phoenix moderator is also good!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    Apologies if this has been asked before but I've been out of the loop with air rifles for years.
    I'm after a very quiet silencer for my BSA Ultra SE 22 for garden plinking. I'm using a Swift Stubby which is small but really suited to rimfire.
    The last time I looked years ago the Weihrauch silencer was the gold standard, but I'm wondering if there is anything that has surpassed it yet? A bit of Googling says the Hogan Decimeater is good too but does it compare or is there something even better?
    I don't want to spend crazy money on a one off custom, and if other things equal the smallest and least expensive is best.
    Thanks in advance.
    When Airgunshooter mag done a test some years back using a meter the BSA VC beat most including the HW, just right for garden plinking

Hmm, so each particular rifle might prefer a particular silencer.
    As I'm going to have to buy blind (deaf?) over the internet, then I think I should go for one that is generally agreed to be amongst the best. The BSA generally doesn't get great reviews, but the HW does as the the Hogan. Is one better made or more compact than the other?

Just get a HW, you can't really go wrong

I've used aBSA Scorpion a few times fitted with a VC silencer and it was no louder than my HW110 with the HE silencer, both very quiet.
    .22 HW 110 ST
    .22 HW97 KT Blackline STL
    Walther CP88 Competition Nickel

Generally speaking the Weihrauch is the standard by which all other mods are judged on airguns, having said that I would also expect the BSA VC to work well on a BSA rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    Hmm, so each particular rifle might prefer a particular silencer.
    As I'm going to have to buy blind (deaf?) over the internet, then I think I should go for one that is generally agreed to be amongst the best. The BSA generally doesn't get great reviews, but the HW does as the the Hogan. Is one better made or more compact than the other?
    If I read this post correctly, you are intending to purchase your silencer on the internet. Thanks to the VCR act, as with rifles, silencers have to be bought face to face from an RFD.

Cheers, Phil
    THE BRAIN CANNOT ASSIMILATE WHAT THE POSTERIA CANNOT TOLERATE

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Generally speaking the Weihrauch is the standard by which all other mods are judged on airguns, having said that I would also expect the BSA VC to work well on a BSA rifle.
    The only real difference between the BSA and the HW is metal vs plastic baffle washers and German vs English made

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I've found the HW, BSA and phoenix mods to be as quiet as each other at their best, but they do differ slightly depending on what gun they sit on.
    The Phoenix has an advantage in that it is lightweight, but it is conversely less durable.
    If shooting .177 I would lean towards the BSA VC, as it has a Variable Choke. This is the advantage it has over the HW.
    BSA is probably the 'best' overall because of this, but there isn't much in it.
    Good deals with these members

quietest mod.

My vote would go to the Weihrauch mod, I haven't got one personally but have fitted a few on peoples air rifles and I've been impressed. The Air Arms Q Tec is also quiet but more money and extra weight.
    Jez.

There is a guy called Matt w on the Air Arms forum who makes silencers I own one and it's brilliant .caliber specific ,made to you requirements ,light super quiet and the look really nice to .I can't remember what he makes them out of but they can't be scratched . I've had most of the top made silencers mentioned and Matt's are as good if not better imo .
    Bsa R10 se

on my BSAs the best were BSA. thats on airguns. BSA were carp on single fire bullet rifles.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by daystatedan View Post
    There is a guy called Matt w on the Air Arms forum who makes silencers I own one and it's brilliant .caliber specific ,made to you requirements ,light super quiet and the look really nice to .I can't remember what he makes them out of but they can't be scratched . I've had most of the top made silencers mentioned and Matt's are as good if not better imo .
    stailness steel.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

I vote for the Twink by A&M, bigger, heavier than the HW silencer but just as quiet, I have one on my HW100K
    Don't believe the hype .22 rules!