Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quietest screw on silencer?

Quote Originally Posted by daystatedan View Post
    There is a guy called Matt w on the Air Arms forum who makes silencers I own one and it's brilliant .caliber specific ,made to you requirements ,light super quiet and the look really nice to .I can't remember what he makes them out of but they can't be scratched . I've had most of the top made silencers mentioned and Matt's are as good if not better imo .
    I'm sure matt makes them from Delrin.

Huggett Special edition is about the best I have, along with a couple made by UK Neil.

HW are pretty close and half the price.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

HW with the addition of custom baffles.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-set-177-or-22

If he still supplies them, I highly recommend the product and the service.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I'm sure matt makes them from Delrin.
    That's the stuff thanks
    Bsa R10 se

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    Apologies if this has been asked before but I've been out of the loop with air rifles for years.
    I'm after a very quiet silencer for my BSA Ultra SE 22 for garden plinking. I'm using a Swift Stubby which is small but really suited to rimfire.
    The last time I looked years ago the Weihrauch silencer was the gold standard, but I'm wondering if there is anything that has surpassed it yet? A bit of Googling says the Hogan Decimeater is good too but does it compare or is there something even better?
    I don't want to spend crazy money on a one off custom, and if other things equal the smallest and least expensive is best.
    Thanks in advance.
    I've heard good reports of the huub shrouds on the ultras but they are £80. To be honest if your using a stubby & just want better silencing then just buy a HW mod. Everyone raves about them & the cost £45. Probably get one on here for £35. But anything that's full length as apposed to a stubby is probably going to do the job
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I strongly vote for this "monster" silencer on German egun

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=5831984

It is only 7 times the price of an HW silencer and also weighs 7 times the HW.
    It effects negatively the floating of Your barrel and Your gun won`t be quieter
    than the HW - not even 1 db.

But it seems that many fellow coutrymen here buy this piece of s...

Be clever and buy an HW silencer! You won't regret.

Thumbs up

I just went into my local RFD and compared my Swift rimfire mod to the few models he had and I ended up buying the Weihrauch.
    It is astonishingly quiet, so much so that I thought that the rifle might be low on pressure. Muzzle report was a dull 'phut'. There wasn't a Logan to compare with but I'm happy.
    Last edited by Guesty; 23-02-2017 at 05:18 PM.

A HW mod is all ANYONE REALLY needs job done

Just tested all mine and they are all quiet as I screw them on, especially if I turn them very slowly.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I've got the quietest silencer.....it's in pocket of gun bag and you don't even know it's there it's so quiet :-)

I have a BSA Ultra .177 which I bought with the deben whisper 130. I then bought the hugget and its was a LOT quieter. I then bought a weihrauch HW and by ear there is no difference from the hugget. I am going to try the VC when I get my hands on one as I can change the choke to suit the calibre. Just missed out on one in the sales as the seller didn't have the .177 choke anymore.

If I get the chance I try and db test them, if I can get my hands on a sound tester. Does anyone know of sound apps are any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Just tested all mine and they are all quiet as I screw them on, especially if I turn them very slowly.

Baz
    You got it all wrong Baz. You need to screw it on then hit you air rifle against a wall or study table as hard as you can. That then determines how "loud" your moderator is

I have Weihrauch silencers on both my .177 and .22 Ultras and I cannot fault them, they are really quiet.
    Lloyd

The weihrauch is quieter than the bsa - ive got both, but only because my BSA R10 se came with a vc on it - and i have also opened them both up to have a look inside b4 , and i found the fabric packing around the (hair curler) inside the HW to be a bit more denser than in the bsa vc, but there is not a great deal in it sound wise tbh - However if i had to choose between them, the weihrauch wins always, as its also feels more well made than the bsa vc. Ive heard getting, or changing the both inner washer/baffles to suit the right caliber helps reduce sound? but that is just hear say. Good luck m

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by echo1974 View Post
    The weihrauch is quieter than the bsa - ive got both,
    Why do you think that, Did you check them with a sound level meter like Airgunshooter mag did and gave the BSA as quieter because we all hear sound slightly different, so you would need to use a meter otherwise it's just a personal opinion