Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quietest screw on silencer?

HW is about as good as it gets for a general purpose off the shelf unit.
    I tested the 4 of my 6 different Moderators i have last week when i got the adaptor to add a second one to my FN12.

The db numbers are not super scientifically measured but I did use the same meter in the same conditions at the same muzzle distance. It's a pretty good guideline.
    Falcon QF - 98
    Swift Stumpy - 94
    ECS DeathWhisper - 90
    HW - 88

Bear in mind that every 3 db is a doubling of power.
    Remaining two are not directly comparable (Daystate Reflex & Falcon Male UNF)
    From testing on my MK4 last year the HW does beat out the Reflex.

Only nice thing about the ECS is it's super light and matt finish.

Basically you cant go wrong with the HW - and if you don't like it they sell very well on here; always a good indicator!

Edit - I should point out these are for direct comparison only. The action on the FN12 accounts for the vast majority of the sound measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Why do you think that, Did you check them with a sound level meter like Airgunshooter mag did and gave the BSA as quieter because we all hear sound slightly different, so you would need to use a meter otherwise it's just a personal opinion
    No, in fairness i didnt have a sound meter, i just had the ears of two other people listening, whilst i tested both, and we all thought the hw was a little quieter, thats it. But like i said there's not much in it - ive got no loyalty sway to either of them (but the rifles i own are 2 bsa's & one crosman ratty), i dont know about the A.S magazine tests? (i like this mag), but i just trust mine. I take it u have listened to both also? We shot a sub 12ftlbs rifle round out with one on, then screwed on the other, and done this several times, and found the above - I think maplins do a sound meter for about 20 quid, so it would be a good honest test if somebody on here had a decent range of the most common sound mods in their collection, anyone? I hope there is BETTER out there? as we would all benefit... (whilst i was writing this, the guy above posted - good test btw)

(I think maplins do a sound meter for about 20 quid) - SORRY, No they dont , its £50, ive just checked it - eb*y do them starting at around £20, i knew i seen them cheap somewhere...
    Last edited by echo1974; 24-02-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by echo1974 View Post
    Ive heard getting, or changing the both inner washer/baffles to suit the right caliber helps reduce sound? but that is just hear say.
    I would have thought reducing ths size of the exit hole of the moderator depending on .177 or .22 would make a difference to the sound? (Obviously with the factory supplied components not bodged parts)

Chris

The exit hole is essentially just the last baffle.
    Reducing the size to suit .177 would certainly improve the performance...

The trouble is that for sub 12ft/lb air rifles there is so little air exiting the barrel that the different is somewhat negligible.
    That's the main reason that most companies only off a one-size-fit-all option for air rifle sound moderators

Redesigning the shape of the baffles and air chambers can also up the performance, but there's always a cost; price, weight, accuracy etc.
    It's usually a good idea to remember that the popular moderators on the market were designed by a bunch of skilled engineers and optimised for maximum results on a given budget.

I have a HW mod on a HW100, tried a Swift and a Hugget on there and the HW seems quieter to my ear at least. Neither are as quiet as a tiny, back venting mod I had made in the 90's by Jon Harris.
    All much of a muchness anyway to be honest as a cheap PH mod will keep the neighbours happy and if it's for hunting then the pellet smacking into whatever you're shooting will be a lot louder.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

HW Huggett and U.K. Neil are my favourites.
    The Hugg on my Brocock Concept is amazing.

SMK do an HW clone that is pretty good.
    £30 so many shops don't stock them!

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by echo1974 View Post
    (I think maplins do a sound meter for about 20 quid) - SORRY, No they dont , its £50, ive just checked it - eb*y do them starting at around £20, i knew i seen them cheap somewhere...
    You can get an app for a smart phone for nothing, it allows you to make a valid comparison as long as you remember to replicate the firing position consistently!

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    The exit hole is essentially just the last baffle.
    Reducing the size to suit .177 would certainly improve the performance...

The trouble is that for sub 12ft/lb air rifles there is so little air exiting the barrel that the different is somewhat negligible.
    That's the main reason that most companies only off a one-size-fit-all option for air rifle sound moderators

Redesigning the shape of the baffles and air chambers can also up the performance, but there's always a cost; price, weight, accuracy etc.
    It's usually a good idea to remember that the popular moderators on the market were designed by a bunch of skilled engineers and optimised for maximum results on a given budget.
    Gonads! There is a lot of air exiting the barrel, that is what makes the loud bang noise when you fire the damned gun and why you buy a silencer/moderator/suppressor to begin with.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    You can get an app for a smart phone for nothing, it allows you to make a valid comparison as long as you remember to replicate the firing position consistently!
    A sensible suggestion

Quietest screw on silencer?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Why do you think that, Did you check them with a sound level meter like Airgunshooter mag did and gave the BSA as quieter because we all hear sound slightly different, so you would need to use a meter otherwise it's just a personal opinion
    I don't think the rabbits will notice the difference @ 30yds though......
    Last edited by junglie; 25-02-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    dont know. the blinking things could hear the brockock before i left the house.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

The logun carbon fibre job what bar sells is a very effective cheap silencer but what's effective on one gun might sound totally diffrent on another band of gun

Just found out this for the BSA VC.......

The only airgun silencer you will ever need. This latest-generation silencer actually allows the shooter to match its internal specification to suit the calibre of the rifle. A supplied Allen key permits the removal of the end of the silencer, so that different size restrictors can be fitted, so increasing or decreasing the muzzle aperture according to calibre to maximise the reduction in noise-energy as the pellet leaves the moderator. This 'variable choke' facility turns a silencer into one of the most useful hunting accessories of all time.
    The BSA VC Silencer is supplied with 2- interchangeable muzzle restrictors that should be matched to the calibre of the airgun it is to be fitted to. The black restrictor must be fitted to .177 (4.5mm) calibre airguns. The white restrictor must be fitted to .22 (5.5mm) calibre airguns. The silencer is supplied with the white restrictor pre-fitted. Please note both restrictors have oversize holes to allow for barrels that have non – concentric bores. If the silencer is to be used on .25 (6.35mm) calibre airguns, no restrictors are fitted. Access to the restrictor is gained by removing the restrictor screw from the Silencer end cap using the 8mm Allen key provided.

I didnt know this, im going to try to pick up the black .177 restrictors and give them a try?

I have the BSA VC silencer and there is no audible difference, to my ears anyway, whether you use the Black .177 choke or the white.22 choke.

I have not tried to measure this with a sound meter but I would guess that if there is a difference it is minimal.
    Bob

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    The OP wanted a silencer for garden plinking