Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Quietest screw on silencer?

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Gonads! There is a lot of air exiting the barrel, that is what makes the loud bang noise when you fire the damned gun and why you buy a silencer/moderator/suppressor to begin with.
    If you compare the required expansion volume and resultant shock wave of a sub 12/ft/lb rifle to an actual firearm (which account for the vast majority of the worlds 'silencer' requirements) yes, the output is negligible. What i was getting at is that the difference in size between a .22 and a .177 is so small that there is little to no point in building a calibre specific Airgun moderator.

Huggett for example use a 6.53mm aperture so just over 1mm clearance on a .22 and double that on a .177

So far for all the ones I've seen use 6mm+ aperture. I'd love to actually test some built for .177 to directly compare them to the .22 counterparts, but Hugget, Daystate, HW, Hogun etc don't seem to bother with them.
    I'm getting the feeling this is rather hijacking the thread form the OPs question.

Bottom line still comes down to the same thing though, for backyard plinking the sound of the action and the pellet impact will be louder than almost any of the standard production units so buyers can pretty much buy whatever they like the look of that suits their wallet.

Why not just make one yourself? There's one guy on the bay of e that precision mills 1/2 unf steel bushings to the needed measurements. He will even send non threaded bushings for the business end of the suppressor (If asked). Very nice bloke, I bought a bushing that was the wrong size, I emailed him to stop him from sending it. He saw the email too late and sent the correct size bushing free of charge! Search thelatheman

You need hair curlers, felt and a tube (carbon fibre recommended). If that's not enough just replicate what the internals of what a weirauch mod looks like. It works out to be less than half the price of a weirauch mod and you can make more than one!
    Last edited by qyuubi786; 26-02-2017 at 12:52 AM.

clunge is offline Buys suspicious amounts of hand sanitiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    What i was getting at is that the difference in size between a .22 and a .177 is so small that there is little to no point in building a calibre specific Airgun moderator.
    The difference in size is small, but the difference in sound is going to be proportional to the difference in the square of the hole diameter.

So if you use a 5.5mm hole for a .177 the square of that is 30.25.

If you use a 6.5mm hole for a .177 the square of that is 42.25.

If you use an 8mm hole for a .177 the square of that is 64.

That is a useful difference in garden plinking, where keeping neighbours happy is important. Worth a decibel or 4.

The other end of the range is also important. I recommend shooting small leaves sticking out of a big pile of soft sand, inside paving slabs, in front of your backstop.

Cardboard targets are too noisy once the neighbours' windows are open or they're out in the summer.
    Last edited by clunge; 26-02-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Silencers

Quote Originally Posted by Carpharp View Post
    I vote for the Twink by A&M, bigger, heavier than the HW silencer but just as quiet, I have one on my HW100K
    As above...
    A&M Twink on my S410 in .177 very good
    and A&M Marksman on the BSA Superten fac in .22
    Diana 52 .22 short stroked
    AA S410.177+Hawke Vantage
    Think outside...no box required

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by daystatedan View Post
    There is a guy called Matt w on the Air Arms forum who makes silencers I own one and it's brilliant .caliber specific ,made to you requirements ,light super quiet and the look really nice to .I can't remember what he makes them out of but they can't be scratched . I've had most of the top made silencers mentioned and Matt's are as good if not better imo .
    Thanks for this info.
    I have just ordered one for my Rapid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavlar View Post
    HW with the addition of custom baffles.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-set-177-or-22

If he still supplies them, I highly recommend the product and the service.
    Thank you too. Just PMed him to enquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    Thanks for this info.
    I have just ordered one for my Rapid.
    You won't be disappointed mate
    Bsa R10 se

I agree the HW is probably the best value.
    The VC on my R10 is just as good so I wouldn't bother changing it.
    On my Stubby Ratworks R10 I have a Twink C but that was for cosmetic reasons which is the only reason I would have any other over a HW as to me they are all comparable.
    HW, Twink, Huggett, Hogan, VC are all excellent silencers in my book.
    The gun shop however seems to frown on my opinion saying it is the down range and non audible to the human ear sound that should be measured.
    Me I would still have a Twink every time given an option.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    I agree the HW is probably the best value.
    The VC on my R10 is just as good so I wouldn't bother changing it.
    On my Stubby Ratworks R10 I have a Twink C but that was for cosmetic reasons which is the only reason I would have any other over a HW as to me they are all comparable.
    HW, Twink, Huggett, Hogan, VC are all excellent silencers in my book.
    The gun shop however seems to frown on my opinion saying it is the down range and non audible to the human ear sound that should be measured.
    Me I would still have a Twink every time given an option.
    I agree, to my ears my Twink is quieter than the HW and is shorter in length but fatter.

Hi i had a little daystate carbon compact silencer on my mk3, Sure it was about 4 inches long, Worked great on my huntsman classic to, Think it would suit a ultra very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by clunge View Post
    The difference in size is small, but the difference in sound is going to be proportional to the difference in the square of the hole diameter.

So if you use a 5.5mm hole for a .177 the square of that is 30.25.

If you use a 6.5mm hole for a .177 the square of that is 42.25.

If you use an 8mm hole for a .177 the square of that is 64.

That is a useful difference in garden plinking, where keeping neighbours happy is important. Worth a decibel or 4.

The other end of the range is also important. I recommend shooting small leaves sticking out of a big pile of soft sand, inside paving slabs, in front of your backstop.

Cardboard targets are too noisy once the neighbours' windows are open or they're out in the summer.
    You are close but not quite there. As long as the speed of exiting air remains subsonic the difference in flow speed causes the dB peak to shift up or down in frequency. Higher speed (small exit hole) makes the peak a bit louder in dB scale but also moves it up in frequency which is why many consider it quieter.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    You are close but not quite there. As long as the speed of exiting air remains subsonic the difference in flow speed causes the dB peak to shift up or down in frequency. Higher speed (small exit hole) makes the peak a bit louder in dB scale but also moves it up in frequency which is why many consider it quieter.
    Like a pan pipe or any wind instruments.... Shorter tube (smaller hole) is higher note???
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Like a pan pipe or any wind instruments.... Shorter tube (smaller hole) is higher note???
    Good comparison. Smaller hole, faster airflow resonating at higher frequency. It doesn't matter inside the silencer but at the exit hole it makes an audible difference. Then there's the spacing of baffles to break up certain frequencies but that's then another story.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    By that reckoning, if you simply remove the endcap it should have low air exit speed, a low tone and lower dB!

Try it, the noise is enough to wake the dead!

Make the baffle and endcap holes as small as is reasonable practical and it will be quieter.

Bb

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    By that reckoning, if you simply remove the endcap it should have low air exit speed, a low tone and lower dB!

Try it, the noise is enough to wake the dead!

Make the baffle and endcap holes as small as is reasonable practical and it will be quieter.

Bb
    There are limits of course. As a practical example I'm running 9mm exit hole in one of my HW silencers and it has a lower dB peak at lower frequency than a stock unit.