Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Quietest screw on silencer?

Anyone who makes their own moderator with hair curlers.....

The baffles, do any of you guys pad the baffle out??

So maybe five or six layers of felt attached to the baffle, pointing in the direction of the incoming pellet.
    ( I know cutting them out perfectly maybe a chore)

I've been thinking of the sound waves and air, and the hard surfaces they hit on the way out. Maybe this padding could reduce a lot of the noise too.

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    There are limits of course. As a practical example I'm running 9mm exit hole in one of my HW silencers and it has a lower dB peak at lower frequency than a stock unit.
    HW mods are known as the benchmark that other manufacturers try to emulate, however if I were to make a custom mod with calibre specific baffles with as little clearance around the pellet as reasonably practical, that wasn't significantly quieter at sub 12 fte than the HW I would be very disappointed. Even at FAC power levels a custom mod should be comparable to a HW running at 12fte

Ive seen in a few films in the past, where they stick a empty 2ltr coke bottle on the end of a 9mm pistol, and the results seem to be a lot lot better than any sound mod! Imagine doing this with a co2 pistol, u would be able to collect and re-use your pellets afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    HW mods are known as the benchmark that other manufacturers try to emulate, however if I were to make a custom mod with calibre specific baffles with as little clearance around the pellet as reasonably practical, that wasn't significantly quieter at sub 12 fte than the HW I would be very disappointed. Even at FAC power levels a custom mod should be comparable to a HW running at 12fte
    That's why I always start my measurements by shooting with stock HW silencer and then comparing the modded ones against that stock unit in the same closed environment. If you get past the dB peak thinking and start measuring with dB at certain frequency up to 20 kHz or even 40 kHz for game animals you'll start to see the difference. In addition plot in the human hearing frequency and how certain frequencies are muffled and you start to understand more. At the end there's really not that much difference at 12 fpe power level if you measure some 30M or 50M from the muzzle. Stick a HW and 90% of people will be happy at 12 fpe level. Go to 30 fpe or 60 fpe and things will be different though.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Hello to All,

The best moderator I have used (with a 0.22" LR rimfire) was the Sako.

These are un-stamped (no brand name etc.), and quite big, but very, very effective.

They have monolithic baffles, so are very easy to strip & clean if needed.

The bonus was the price - I paid £16 for mine (mind you that was in 2001 )

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

These are un-stamped (no brand name etc.), and quite big, but very, very effective.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    For rimfire Ase-Utra is about the best there is. Most cost effective is SAK. Both work for airguns but are not as effective as dedicated airgun silencers.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    do you mean Sako or SAK?
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.