Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posting an air rifle ? Help required

Been there done that, just book it online. No declaration needed and just drop it off at the post office. Never been asked whats in the package with a drop off.

I posted a pistol today at the counter via 48express and declared the contents - the chappie checked the 'rules' and gave the nod, so as someone has pointed out seems to be a training issue at some P/O's, or more likely can't be arsed to look it up

FFS.

To the OP. Why ask the f'ing question and then ignore the info others have given in good faith? Do a search next time and you will see it has been done thousands of times...

PF48 do not xray anything that is posted in AND delivered to the mainland UK, thats mainland which means not an island... hence the comment about pressure vessels can and do get delivered if you do it right.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post
    FFS.

To the OP. Why ask the f'ing question and then ignore the info others have given in good faith? Do a search next time and you will see it has been done thousands of times...

PF48 do not xray anything that is posted in AND delivered to the mainland UK, thats mainland which means not an island... hence the comment about pressure vessels can and do get delivered if you do it right.
    Well hello Mr Grumpy!

I send and receive a few rifles a week, guns do get sent to Belfast and some (but not one I've sent) do get destroyed. PCP's are prohibited and if you send one and it gets destroyed you have absolutely no recourse.
    All mine are springers, and I always enclose a covering letter with my details and a signed statement confirming it doesn't contravene their carriage policy. I would never advocate sending prohibited goods.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Arrow

FFS.

Guys, I'm an ex postmaster of 10 years experience and work 3 days a week in my local post office as a retirement job. You come along with your low powered ie non-FAC airgun suitably wrapped and ask me to post it. I ask 'what's in the package?' and you say, 'it's a low powered airgun'. That's OK for me because it's allowed. I then send it off by by Parcelforce 48. Simples! I've done this for customers and my own packages many times and never had a problem because that's how it is. I simply don't understand the confusion and difficulty over this.

Problems can occur if it is a PCP but the rules are clear. Pressure gessels are prohibited whether full or empty. No argument. However if the customer tells me the valve has been unscrewed and separated from the cylinder, then it is no longer capable of being pressurised and OK to post.

I assume this what you mean by doing it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamjohn View Post
    Well i hate to challenge you all as i really want to post this rifle but read below re contract only......

Arms and ammunition
    Carriage of firearms
    A service for Section 1 and 2 firearms and low-powered airguns (as defined by the Firearms Act 1968, as amended),
    imitation firearms, de-activated guns, antique firearms and paintball guns is available to contract customers only , at the
    absolute discretion of Parcelforce Worldwide, and is subject to Parcelforce Worldwide providing prior written agreement in
    advance. Where Parcelforce Worldwide provide concurrence to sending firearms, it is subject to a number of conditions

And this is what they quoted, i hj
    ave to have a contract ??? Please advise
    world wide .this relates to airguns in uk.

Arms and Ammunition - low powered air weapons Low-powered air weapons (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), together with lead pellets and other airgun and airsoft projectiles, can be sent but are subject to the following conditions:
    These items must be sent on an express48 service only
    These items must be sent via the Post Office only, and presented at the counter
    Enhanced compensation cover is not available

can be sent in the uk but not international
    Last edited by bighit; 23-02-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson3392 View Post
    Guys, I'm an ex postmaster of 10 years experience and work 3 days a week in my local post office as a retirement job. You come along with your low powered ie non-FAC airgun suitably wrapped and ask me to post it. I ask 'what's in the package?' and you say, 'it's a low powered airgun'. That's OK for me because it's allowed. I then send it off by by Parcelforce 48. Simples! I've done this for customers and my own packages many times and never had a problem because that's how it is. I simply don't understand the confusion and difficulty over this.

Problems can occur if it is a PCP but the rules are clear. Pressure gessels are prohibited whether full or empty. No argument. However if the customer tells me the valve has been unscrewed and separated from the cylinder, then it is no longer capable of being pressurised and OK to post.

I assume this what you mean by doing it right?
    logunner is ex royal mail also .he knows what he's talking about he has helped people on here find "lost" items .

Yes you can post PF48 within the UK.

Print off their own T&Cs ('cos they often don't know themselves) and tell them what's in the parcel.

They put a "Restricted" sticker on the package and no issues.

Seemples!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Well hello Mr Grumpy!

I send and receive a few rifles a week, guns do get sent to Belfast and some (but not one I've sent) do get destroyed. PCP's are prohibited and if you send one and it gets destroyed you have absolutely no recourse.
    All mine are springers, and I always enclose a covering letter with my details and a signed statement confirming it doesn't contravene their carriage policy. I would never advocate sending prohibited goods.

Hehehe

It just gets me when people ask for info then question it.. RM send to Belfast more regularly because they xray large amounts of mail due to the rules on Aircraft cargo. PF do not xray mainland mail so unless your packing is useless they will have no idea of the contents.

As for pressure vessels, with the valve removed then ok to post... now with every parcel being packed, wrapped and properly labelled how will they ever know. Trust me once the Post Office counter staff have accepted a PF item then PF staff couldn't give a flying F*** what it is. Although the heavier it is the more likely it is to be dropped or stacked at the bottom of the trailer, pack it well guys.

Unless of course it one of the "worlds largest dildo" packages.... I kid you not the packaging had it plastered all over it

Hehehe

It just gets me when people ask for info then question it.. RM send to Belfast more regularly because they xray large amounts of mail due to the rules on Aircraft cargo. PF do not xray mainland mail so unless your packing is useless they will have no idea of the contents.

As for pressure vessels, with the valve removed then ok to post... now with every parcel being packed, wrapped and properly labelled how will they ever know. Trust me once the Post Office counter staff have accepted a PF item then PF staff couldn't give a flying F*** what it is. Although the heavier it is the more likely it is to be dropped or stacked at the bottom of the trailer, pack it well guys.

Unless of course it one of the "worlds largest dildo" packages.... I kid you not the packaging had it plastered all over it
    Yup, that's all there is to say. The advice about packng is spot on. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to damage/break/drop a parcel even before its left the post office!

Were you hoping they would send it to you in a more discreet package????????

WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Were you hoping they would send it to you in a more discreet package????????

Pmsl. Always collect mine to avoid such embarrassing moments

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamjohn View Post
    Im told haha they will accept assembled so that should be ok !!
    Some advice.......separate action from the stock and wrap both separately in bubble wrap and pack well in a good strong cardboard box, pack it out with bubble wrap or similar so nothing can move. If you leave the stock attached and it's dropped on it's end you can find that the weight will shear the stock at the pistol grip. You may well have it covered by Insurance, but you will have a feed up buyer and weeks getting it sorted.