Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911 vs Colt SAA

Colt 1911 vs Colt SAA

Which of the two is likely to be prove more robust over time?

My guess would be the revolver because it has no moving slide to wear things out.

However, I wonder how the crane and cylinder, and the more complex trigger mechanism might stand up to repeated use.

The SAA certainly looks pretty sturdy. But it's still constructed from pot metal.

How well do you think it will last?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

My guess would be the revolver because it has no moving slide to wear things out.

However, I wonder how the crane and cylinder, and the more complex trigger mechanism might stand up to repeated use.

The SAA certainly looks pretty sturdy. But it's still constructed from pot metal.

I did contact someone who had posted a strip down of the Peacemaker/saa to ask about build quality and he said it looked well sturdy. Only time will tell, it being new to the party, but i've got all three pellet finishes & wouldn't have the bb versions again after the well known barrel fault. I did have the bb ones & did have the barrel fault (got refunds) NO such problems so far with the pellet ones. The Tanfoglio Witness/ Swiss Arms/ Remington 1911's (all same gun) with all fixes available should last well. I have the TW.& 2 Swiss Arms 1911's. The TW is going strong after 5yrs regular use so bought 2 SArms spares. I shoot a lot and when I find guns I love, I like to have a few of the same to spread the constant shooting load and wear, plus being donor guns if parts are needed. The slides don't wear out btw. GET EM ALL, LOL. Hope this is of some help. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

It will depend entirely on usage.

Some people get upset when these gun fail after 5000 round in a few weeks.
    I doubt I've put 500 rounds through any of my Colts.

Mind you I have a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

It has a crane? I thought only swing-out cylinders used those.

In any case, it's probably the ratchet/pawl and cylinder bolt that'll wear - what're they made of?
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    I did contact someone who had posted a strip down of the Peacemaker/saa to ask about build quality and he said it looked well sturdy. Only time will tell, it being new to the party, but i've got all three pellet finishes & wouldn't have the bb versions again after the well known barrel fault. I did have the bb ones & did have the barrel fault (got refunds) NO such problems so far with the pellet ones. The Tanfoglio Witness/ Swiss Arms/ Remington 1911's (all same gun) with all fixes available should last well. I have the TW.& 2 Swiss Arms 1911's. The TW is going strong after 5yrs regular use so bought 2 SArms spares. I shoot a lot and when I find guns I love, I like to have a few of the same to spread the constant shooting load and wear, plus being donor guns if parts are needed. The slides don't wear out btw. GET EM ALL, LOL. Hope this is of some help. ATB. Pete.
    Just out of interest...what was the barrel fault with the SAA's?...and what are the fixes available for the 1911?
    Ta

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    In any case, it's probably the ratchet/pawl and cylinder bolt that'll wear - what're they made of?

Almost certainly cheap cast alloy.
    Good deals with these members

Harvey -you will find one man and his mate,not U.K. based ,on you tube.

They show you badly deformed bb Peacemaker barrels where naughty bbs have got out of line on entry and in one case punched a hole through the barrel.

They blame poor build and thin barrels.

I blame tinkering with new guns and bad re assembly but then I'm an old cynic.

I also blame shooting any sort of projectile that will fit in the cartridges rather than the bbs they were designed for.
    Probably including potatoes.
    But then I am see above.

I have and have had loads of both and could not live without either lol.

If you do go for the colt saa, make sure you go for the pellet version it's an all round better version. A tiny bit more powerful (not that power matters in these replicas) but it's quite a lot more accurate and better made too as it uses a thicker and stronger steel rifled barrel compared to the thin steel smooth bore barrel in the bb version..

I have done a comparison video on my YouTube channel..

To answer your question though what would last longer, who knows it's pot luck these all these replicas some last ages some don't.. Lol definitely get both though..

ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Are there any pellet 1911's with blowback? or is that only available on BB versions?

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    It has a crane? I thought only swing-out cylinders used those.

You're right Mik. My mistake.

I was thinking of modern revolvers.

Thanks to everybody for your replies.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Harvey -you will find one man and his mate,not U.K. based ,on you tube.

They show you badly deformed bb Peacemaker barrels where naughty bbs have got out of line on entry and in one case punched a hole through the barrel.

They blame poor build and thin barrels.

I blame tinkering with new guns and bad re assembly but then I'm an old cynic.
    I think this could be related to the fault that developed on my SAA, after a couple of weeks of use and maybe 400 shots fired the entire barrel assembly developed a slight wobble leading to groups opening up massively. It was only noticable by feel initially but then started to developed until you could visibly see the foresight could be moved a couple of MM

My fix was to strip the gun down and use strips of thin foil to shim between the outer barrel and the frame (around the housing for the forcing cone) then reassembling.

I was unimpressed with the build quality inside (the original fault was clearly down to poor castings, and I suspect they are being taken from the mould at varying temperatures resulting in slight size differences).

That said my fix has been in place for 18 months and it is still shooting as good as it did when new. I haven't checked my barrel for damage by out of line bbs, maybe should have but I don't want to strip the gun down again as I suspect there is only so many times you can drift out steel pins and refit them into a Mazak\ZamakzZinc alloy frame.

Both good fun guns though!
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Just out of interest...what was the barrel fault with the SAA's?...and what are the fixes available for the 1911?
    Ta
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJS3Vc1AM4 This shows the dented forcing cone about half way through vid. There are other vids showing drastic damage to the barrel itself by other people. lead bb's are better being softer but steel causes dents. Fixes for TW etc are many and one might not have problems anyway but over time things happen! I would still recommend the blowback 1911's though. not yet found a problem that couldnt be sorted on them. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Yep that's the bloke.
    And he sells barrel conversions!

The only issue I have with the blowback 1911s is the wear on the safety, it becomes dangerous after a while.

That said, I never use a safety anyway, they are just not safe.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich