Thread: Hawke sunshade & Flip up cover issue

Hawke sunshade & Flip up cover issue

I have a Hawke Vantage and got the sunshade tube & flip up dust caps and I cant get it all together???

The dust caps fit the scope and the sunshade fits the scope but the dust caps wont fit the sunshade. It says on the Hawke website the sunshades are stackable. so if the sunshade screws into the same thread as what the dust caps did and another sunshade will screw into the end of the first then surely so would the dust cap?

I hope that makes sense, Its taken me half an hour to word this as simply as possible!

A brain teaser!

Is there a small end cap to remove from the sunshade tube to make it stackable??

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    A brain teaser!

Is there a small end cap to remove from the sunshade tube to make it stackable??
    nope, the thread is there. It either wont bite or jams a quarter turn in. I don't want to force it and strip the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    nope, the thread is there. It either wont bite or jams a quarter turn in. I don't want to force it and strip the threads.
    Sounds like the thread in the front of the sun shade then mate. You might see a burr on there with an eye glass.

Can you return it to Hawke for an exchange?

I've just had this exact issue, there was no fault it's just a royal tw*t to get the flip-up to fit the sunshade.

All I did in the end was remove the sunshade from the scope to make handling easier, remove the actual thread locking ring from the flip-up, again just to make handling easier, put the thread ring on and turn it backwards (anti-clockwise) very gently & feel for the "click" as the two thread ends pass then spin it on & back & forth a bit to clean the threads.

I think it's just the ultra fine thread being a bit blocked by the paint on the sun shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Can you return it to Hawke for an exchange?
    I don't think I can return it to Hawke but I will return it to the retailer if I find its faulty. I don't want to mess about with taking it back if its my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I've just had this exact issue, there was no fault it's just a royal tw*t to get the flip-up to fit the sunshade.

All I did in the end was remove the sunshade from the scope to make handling easier, remove the actual thread locking ring from the flip-up, again just to make handling easier, put the thread ring on and turn it backwards (anti-clockwise) very gently & feel for the "click" as the two thread ends pass then spin it on & back & forth a bit to clean the threads.

I think it's just the ultra fine thread being a bit blocked by the paint on the sun shade.
    I tried with the flip up off but couldn't do it. i'm probably just being a pussy as I didn't want to damage it.

Going to try again tonight.

I was getting well stressed, to the point that after about 20mins of swearing I had to take a tea break, then just went back to it spun the lock ring backwards felt the tiny click of the thread & that was it straight on & once it went on the first time after that it was easy.

I really don't know how or who designs these or they just pick them off the shelves ? I have a sidewinder 4.5X14 with the screw on caps and if I attach the sunshade the front cap does not fit the sunshade so I had to buy some flip up caps. Recently I bought a sunshade for the 40mm objective of my Panorama 3x9x40 and that doesn't fit either , it is too small although the outer diameter is a perfect match so I have fitted that one with the help of a couple of windings of Gorilla tape. They really need to get this sorted out. It is a mess TBH. I used to do a bit of work for an importer of Chinese telescopes and Guidable EQ mounts and that was the same story. It was so bad that at times a mount had metric screws on the outside and UNF ones on the inside of the mount. The telescopes were just as bad. I was once told that they designed or built them around the cheapest available tubing or whatever the factory had in stock.

A.G

Lensman,
    It's quite likely that you will now need an adaptor ring to mate the new style flip-up/sunshade to an older scope, I had to get one to fit the new 50mm flip-up to my old style 4-16x50 Sidewinder.

Or maybe the 42mm shade would fit ?

missed-dinner,
    is your vantage AO ? I'm wondering if the AO end would be a different thread to the plain end of a sunshade ?
    Last edited by angrybear; 14-03-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Lensman,
    It's quite likely that you will now need an adaptor ring to mate the new style flip-up/sunshade to an older scope, I had to get one to fit the new 50mm flip-up to my old style 4-16x50 Sidewinder.

Or maybe the 42mm shade would fit ?

missed-dinner,
    is your vantage AO ? I'm wondering if the AO end would be a different thread to the plain end of a sunshade ?
    The vantage is AO and it needs a different shade again as the one for the panorama does not fit it.

A.G

Not all vantages have AO and the two options for sun shades are for either the AO adjuster around the objective lense or the side focus version.

I finally managed to wind in the flip up cover by turning a half turn then back off a quarter turn then in a half turn and back of again until I was all the way in. Once I was home I had paint dust all over my fingers so that clearly was the problem. So you were correct angrybear.

The only thing now is, I don't like the effect it has on the weight of the gun! It weighs nothing at all but because it sits in front of my forehand it makes the gun feel lot heavier!!!

Oh, Dey do do dat dough don't dey dough.