Thread: Large objective lense and low scope mounts.

Large objective lense and low scope mounts.

I bought a Hawke Vantage scope with a 50mm objective lense for my BSA Ultra SE. I have low scope mounts and the scope was so close to the barrel that I couldn't fit the elasticated dust caps. I was going to buy taller scope mounts but I was warned it increases the chance of error from cant so I decided to gamble and hoped the flip up dust caps would fit (as they were just over £40 for the pair) and as long as you mount them at 45° or 90° from vertical then they fit a treat! And apart from the technical side of it, with them mounted at 45° it look bad ass!

Just a heads up for others in the same predicament

Your scope mounts need to be the height that suits your hold/head shape whatever height that might be.

Shoulder the rifle with eyes closed, once comfortable open your aim eye and the scope height should be correct without needing to either scrunch down or lift your head up, if it's not then the mounts are wrong FOR YOU,

I've cut part of the dust caps away in the past so they fit on which has worked ... granted not ideal but if you don't want higher mounts (which I didn't) does offer an alternative.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by Missed_dinner View Post
    I bought a Hawke Vantage scope with a 50mm objective lense for my BSA Ultra SE. I have low scope mounts and the scope was so close to the barrel that I couldn't fit the elasticated dust caps. I was going to buy taller scope mounts but I was warned it increases the chance of error from cant so I decided to gamble and hoped the flip up dust caps would fit (as they were just over £40 for the pair) and as long as you mount them at 45° or 90° from vertical then they fit a treat! And apart from the technical side of it, with them mounted at 45° it look bad ass!

Just a heads up for others in the same predicament
    Error from cant has nothing to do with scope height - see this analysis of the impact of cant and scope height by one of the top FT shooters:

http://www.szottesfold.co.uk/2012/03...f-ancient.html

Jerry

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Having a high mounted scope can adversely affect your PBR though. Not an issue for FT shooters who dial their ranges in, but for the hunter or casual shooter it is something to consider.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Having a high mounted scope can adversely affect your PBR though. Not an issue for FT shooters who dial their ranges in, but for the hunter or casual shooter it is something to consider.
    to be honest after playing about with the numbers its actual better for the pbr if your scope is a little higher.., up to 7-8yrds its more difficult but after that its a bit flatter with a longer sweetspot between the zeros. i think this is why ft shooters do it
    Last edited by rhyslightnin; 24-02-2017 at 05:47 PM.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

And having to contort or strain your body shape to get your eye behind an incorrectly mounted scope, will adversely affect every single shot you take .

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    And having to contort or strain your body shape to get your eye behind an incorrectly mounted scope, will adversely affect every single shot you take .
    100%.
    I'm slowly fitting adjustable buttpads to all of my rifles, and may be about to take the plunge and attempt an adjustable comb on at least two of them.
    Gunfit is *everything*
    Good deals with these members

100%.
    I'm slowly fitting adjustable buttpads to all of my rifles, and may be about to take the plunge and attempt an adjustable comb on at least two of them.
    Gunfit is *everything*

^^^^^this^^^^^

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Your scope mounts need to be the height that suits your hold/head shape whatever height that might be.

Shoulder the rifle with eyes closed, once comfortable open your aim eye and the scope height should be correct without needing to either scrunch down or lift your head up, if it's not then the mounts are wrong FOR YOU,
    ^^^^ Good advice ^^^^

This is how everyone should fit their guns - adjustable buttpad, comb, scope height and eye relief, trigger reach etc should all be tuned to suit you, not the other way round... it should be natural.

Just bought a 98 stock for my 85 for just that reason (adjustable comb and butt pad) - plus the pistol grip fits me better.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.