Thread: Talk to me about...DIY adjustable combs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    One of the biggest problems is making sure your holes for the posts line up squarely, the method I now use is what HW do on their 98, (I basically copied it), you drill the holes from the bottom of the butt up into the part you wish to make adjustable this then ensures alignment.

I then wrap the butt up tight with tape to prevent splits and allow me to mark the lines, then I cut it very slowly with a 14tpi hacksaw blade in a blade holder.

You can then insert rods to raise and lower the cheek piece, and there are plenty of examples on different adjusters.
    Now that is a pretty good idea....any tips on lining up the side retaining screws with the rods?
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Now that is a pretty good idea....any tips on lining up the side retaining screws with the rods?
    I made a small jig which was basically a bent alloy plate with two bolts that go into the rod holes and two punch holes drilled for the height I want the adjusters installed, its pretty fool proof, you simply draw two straight lines on the plate , drill the holes on the lines and make sure you bend it 90 degrees so that they stay in line, then slot the bolts into the rod holes and punch mark the stock , simples.