Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wd40

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    A few of you are close...it was indeed called 'Rocket WD40' originally and it was the 40th formulation of a chemical developed for Convair to stop the skin of Atlas missiles going rusty.

If you're interested... https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/history

Wd40

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    A few of you are close...it was indeed called 'Rocket WD40' originally and it was the 40th formulation of a chemical developed for Convair to stop the skin of Atlas missiles going rusty.

If you're interested... https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/history
    Thanks for that.
    Strange that with such a success story airguns are the one item that this product apparently ruins.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Well, I`ve been using WD 40 for years and years to wipe rifles and pistols over when finishing shooting with no ill effect. Also use as a releasing agent on rusted parts, bolts etc. I also use Ballistol, which smells lovely and works well. I do not use WD 40 on internals unless to just clean parts.

'WD40' now appears to be something of a generic name term as I believe WD40**** (insert extra name tag here) products are available. Personally I have not seen them nor tried them ....
    Cheers, Phil

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I've been using it on airguns for years, and have yet to see any detrimental afects.. for cleaning crud off externally, removing light rust, and also for cleaning bores. Also good for degreasing the internals of old guns.

Obviously, as stated, the guns need to be relubed afterwards with conventional oils, but as a crud remover / degreaser, I like it.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

97% of users agree that WD40 works like the hand of God.

WD40 deniers must be shouted down, will nobody think of the children?

Children

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    97% of users agree that WD40 works like the hand of God.

WD40 deniers must be shouted down, will nobody think of the children?

Of course "the children" Give them a quick wash down in WD it's good for the skin.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

It's a miracle cure for psoriasis too apparently!

mate used wd40 to clean his shot gun barrels he swears by it .i thought he was mad and wrong !!!!.he then sent me a link by yahoo .errrm i guess i was wrong

Wd 40

Just to clarify the name, WD40's full nomenclature is 'War Department Oil No. 40'. All oils, lubricants and sealants used for military applications are allocated a number which is referred to on a list of items where the oil can and can't be used. WD40 is for use on machinery and vehicles for freeing screw threads, and is definitely prohibited for use on weapons and munitions as it can react with any explosive substance it comes into contact with.
    The formula was released onto the civilian market in the 60's because of its popularity with mechanics and engineers.
    Don't use it anywhere near your guns!!
    I am an ex-army Ammunition Technician, and fully familiar with the use and mis-use of WD40.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I've been using it on airguns for years, and have yet to see any detrimental afects.. for cleaning crud off externally, removing light rust, and also for cleaning bores. Also good for degreasing the internals of old guns.

Obviously, as stated, the guns need to be relubed afterwards with conventional oils, but as a crud remover / degreaser, I like it.
    Same as above!
    Regards Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Exfelix View Post
    Just to clarify the name, WD40's full nomenclature is 'War Department Oil No. 40'. All oils, lubricants and sealants used for military applications are allocated a number which is referred to on a list of items where the oil can and can't be used. WD40 is for use on machinery and vehicles for freeing screw threads, and is definitely prohibited for use on weapons and munitions as it can react with any explosive substance it comes into contact with.
    The formula was released onto the civilian market in the 60's because of its popularity with mechanics and engineers.
    I am an ex-army Ammunition Technician, and fully familiar with the use and mis-use of WD40.
    not what wd40 the company says

https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/history

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Nope, sorry completely wrong chap - the WD stands for water dispersant and was a US product invented way after the US dept of war was disbanded ....try reading some of the earlier posts first perhaps next time

WD

DREAM ON MATE. Or take more water with it!

wd40

its very good for removing the sticky residue left from take or price stickers from scopes or anywhere, spray on a sheet of kitchen towell first to prevent any going on lenses though.