Thread: Aeron BRNO Chameleon Mod4

Aeron BRNO Chameleon Mod4

So the wife wants to join me shooting match air pistol…Mmm. Now I have a roving eye, but limited budget, when it comes to air pistols and though I normally shoot a Steyr LP2, I am not averse to shooting any air pistol provided I am capable of achieving comparable scores with it. I also find (despite good advice to the contrary) that if I shoot a different pistol occasionally it improves my ability to detect flaws with my technique and usually (but not always) makes me appreciate going back to my Steyr.

So in search of a cheap alternative, I take the wife to my local pawn brokers/air gun shop (there’s the makings of a good joke there somewhere!) Bristol Airguns and there on a shelf was an Aeron BRNO Chameleon Mod 4 that uses 12g C02 Capsules or ‘Bulk Fill’ C02. The general consensus of opinion in my club is that C02 has pretty much had its day and PCP’s are the way forward. However not owning a suitable pump or divers bottle I can only charge my Steyr at the club and having not experienced C02 match pistols the ‘first time round’ I was intrigued to see how it would perform, especially as C02 capsules are readily available (the pistol can also be ‘Bulk Filled’ but that has the ring of ‘hassle’ about it and the adapter necessary had been misplaced by the previous owner anyway).
    ‘It’s a little heavy.’ Said the wife
    ‘But the price is light.’ I countered.
    ‘Let’s think about it.’ She said.
    ‘I’ll take it.’ Says I.

The Chameleon is a single shot version of the Aeron B96.

It has a Lothar Walther barrel and a large match style adjustable grip, adjustable match trigger and adjustable back sight for windage elevation and width. I presume various width front sights were also supplied initially but mine have gone ‘walkabout’. There is a moveable/removable weight beneath the barrel. To initially charge the gun it needs to be ‘cocked’ by pushing the crossbar (in front and below the loading port) forward (this makes a very satisfying cocking noise). Set the safety to on and fully open and close the loading port (the gun will not function unless you open the port every time.). The capsule can then be inserted (nipple down) in to the handle of the pistol and the piercer screwed on, tightening with the supplied ‘piercer key’. The gas/liquid then fills the handle. The pistol is then ready to use. Being a derivative of the B96 semi auto five shot pistol upon pulling the trigger the cross bar moves toward the firer and then away as it ‘self cocks’ a mechanism that would feed the next pellet along on the five shot version. Initially I thought this movement would be detrimental to accuracy but it doesn’t seem to have that effect and gives the reassuring feeling as if ‘shooting live rounds’ (very light live rounds).

I did have concerns regarding the number of shots per capsule but these proved unfounded as 81 to 91 seems to be the norm. That number enables me to shoot 10 -20 settling in practice shots and a full 60 shot competition round. There is a noticeable drop in pressure (judging purely by sound) toward the final shots before the gun ‘dumps’ the remaining C02 (with a raspberry type noise) but this has no noticeable effect on grouping and if anything the gun becomes even more forgiving. After the initial ‘dump’ it is still possible to get about another 5 shots before having to vent the remaining gas, however the punched holes in the target are notably more ragged and not as cleanly punched.

I use Geco Diablo flat head pellets and consider myself an average shot, scoring usually between 85 – 90 per 10 shots at 10 meters with my Steyr and the scores are the same with the Chameleon. I am not saying either is superior to the other, just that at my present level of competence there is no comparable difference in my scores.

Pros – Enjoyable to shoot, accurate, forgiving and different.(Top score so far 93 ex 100 @ 10 meters)
    Cons – Wife wants it back.
    Last edited by lead lobber; 26-02-2017 at 09:58 PM.