Thread: Help with new red-dot sight

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Question Help with new red-dot sight

I recently got this off 3b4y for £14.99, it looks a just like the one here: http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...s&Product=7653

The trouble is the aiming reticles look horribly blobby and out of focus. I've found a little grub screw which I can completely take out with the smaller of the 2 alan keys provided.

I was wondering if this is meant to be used to bring the reticle into sharper focus? So far can't say I've noticed any improvement whilst twiddling this grub screw in or out of the scope.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Do you wear glasses by any chance.The reason I ask is that I only wear reading glasses, and when I first used mine I was so dissapointed because the so called red dot looked more like a red paint splat.
    I checked all the settings and was going to bin it and call it a bad experience. However, when I picked it up later without my glasses on it was perfect. Put the glasses back on and was crap. So now I have to use it without wearing my reading glasses, which for me is not a problem. This may not be the same for you but it's a thought. Cheers Ade

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    As above, it may be that you either need glasses, or need to take yours off -or alternatively you might just have a duff dot sight...
    There are a lot of cheap copies out there, and up to a point you do get what you pay for. The difference is often only evident when you actually look down the sight.
    For £15 I would only expect something fit to put on an airsoft gun.
    Good deals with these members

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    Do you wear glasses by any chance.The reason I ask is that I only wear reading glasses, and when I first used mine I was so dissapointed because the so called red dot looked more like a red paint splat.
    I checked all the settings and was going to bin it and call it a bad experience. However, when I picked it up later without my glasses on it was perfect. Put the glasses back on and was crap. So now I have to use it without wearing my reading glasses, which for me is not a problem. This may not be the same for you but it's a thought. Cheers Ade
    I wear glasses full time, and yes it does look like a cluster of blobs to me which wouldn't make for very precise aiming I don't think. I'll try it without my specs on, but so far I'm not that enamoured with the quality of the reticles and seriously considering sending it back. Does anyone know what the smaller of the 2 grub screws does? Not the windage and elevation ones, but one at the rear right of the unit that requires the smaller of the 2 supplied alan keys.

I might cough up for one of these instead: http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...s&Product=1988

Anyone got any suggestions. Ones they own and love?

had red dot and green dots. now stick with cross hairs. simple reason i wear specs. and the lampposts reflect on both the sight and the specs. i have had the spider web effect. so dumped the idea of dot sights.
    an idea for you, i moved to the german reticle sites. much better.
    Last edited by max headroom; 26-02-2017 at 02:43 AM.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    I wear glasses full time, and yes it does look like a cluster of blobs to me which wouldn't make for very precise aiming I don't think. I'll try it without my specs on, but so far I'm not that enamoured with the quality of the reticles and seriously considering sending it back. Does anyone know what the smaller of the 2 grub screws does? Not the windage and elevation ones, but one at the rear right of the unit that requires the smaller of the 2 supplied alan keys.
    The very small screw is simply the locking screw once your sight is set up nip that screw up and then nothing
    Can move but remember to slack it off if later you need to adjust it again also I found one click movment will move the dot along way so gentley does it
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I recently got this off 3b4y for £14.99, it looks a just like the one here: http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...s&Product=7653

The trouble is the aiming reticles look horribly blobby and out of focus. I've found a little grub screw which I can completely take out with the smaller of the 2 alan keys provided.

I was wondering if this is meant to be used to bring the reticle into sharper focus? So far can't say I've noticed any improvement whilst twiddling this grub screw in or out of the scope.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    I have an identical looking item marked ZOS I bought off the bay as well - mine seems OK unless you have the brightness set too high for the ambient light in which case the reticles lose their definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero58 View Post
    The very small screw is simply the locking screw once your sight is set up nip that screw up and then nothing
    Can move but remember to slack it off if later you need to adjust it again also I found one click movment will move the dot along way so gentley does it
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I have an identical looking item marked ZOS I bought off the bay as well - mine seems OK unless you have the brightness set too high for the ambient light in which case the reticles lose their definition.
    Both the above bang on. I have several of these sights on pistols and they do work very well. The only dud I have had is one that didn't have the crosshair reticles, just a dot. I find the green illumination isn't as precise as the red, but this may be down to me wearing glasses.

I might cough up for one of these instead: http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...s&Product=1988

Before you purchase one, check to see if that will be ok. If possible try to see one at your local gun shop. The reason is I have 2 of the Hawke RD30. I do not wear my reading glasses with these and they are brilliant.
    However I just tried one with my glasses on, and the dot has become a blob. Although when I turn the brightness right down the dot does resemble a dot rather than a blob, but it is obviously then harder to see.
    I had a problem using iron sights and someone replied with this comment.

Have you heard of eyepal http://www.eyepalusa.com/
    A patch over the dominant eye side of your reading glasses that has a hole about 1mm dia in it deepens your field of vision making the sights and distant targets both in focus.
    Narrow the field of vision = extend the depth of vision.
    This was demonstrated to me just with a small piece of card and a couple of blobs of Blu tack.
    A small hole in the centre of a piece of card smaller than my glasses lens stuck on with two small blobs of blutack and suddenly both sights and target in focus.
    Give it a try to test.
    The thing is it actually works using iron sights it's incredible. It may be worth trying with your reticule or red dot

I have the Chinese clone of that sight. Ronda rd30 .Red and Green dots only .

pretty big dots at close range and nor prefect dots. Slight blur to one side.

got it on eblag years ago lots of different versions from dots to crosshairs depending where you buy it .

I got it for my 2250xl kingratcatcher but never used it

paul

I've a RD30, and a couple of the others, I prefer the 'holographic' ones, as I find that the RD gives parallax error very easily, plus the dot is too large on the RD

(imo)These things are not meant for serious accuracy, they are for fast target acquisition in urban combat/combat simulation where you put multiple shots at the centre mass.