Thread: webley hawk

webley hawk

I have the opportunity to get my hands on a webley hawk with both barrels. Now my question is, the stock isn't in the best condition but the action and barrels are reasonably good nick. Is it worth the effort of stripping and getting back to reasonable condition? Or just bin it as they are just not worth the hassle.
    Any feedback most welcome.

No gun should be binned

What mark is it? I have a mk2 after some easy mods it's made a nice shooter

If you do a search on a topic from me about the Hawk you'll learn thats its a not much loved airrifle.
    But if its complete with 2 original barrels, I personally would take the chance anyway.
    The mk1s seem to be more liked than later mk2s. Mk3s dont have double barrels anymore.
    ATB,
    yana

Go for it.

When I bought mine the stock was a hideous babyshit brown colour and finished in varnish. Some paint stripper, sanding, wood stain and a few goes over with Danish oil and it is a 100% improvements in looks.

It is still a crap rifle (Mk1 with both barrels) but it now looks nice.

ok guys thanks for the help. Will check which mk it is (will it say mk II or III etc.) and give it a go. Not costing me anything so no harm in a play. If nothing else will have two spare barrels for sale!

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    If it's a MkI, it'll have "Webley Hawk" roll-stamped down one side of the cylinder, and a large slot headed screw for a barrel retainer/release.
    The MkII has the words "Webley Hawk MkII" roll-stamped between the scope grooves on the top of the cylinder, and uses a grub screw on top of the breech block as a barrel release/retainer.
    I love Hawks and have the full set.
    If it's a MkI and it still has that "baby shit brown" stock finish, that's probably factory original.
    Love the Hawk as I do, I also think it just may have been the rifle that destroyed Webley's reputation. Persisting with it for as long as they did was probably fatal.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

One thing to watch on the Hawk is the pin that secures the mainspring. If the holes through which the pin is secured are elongated or egg shaped, the rifle may discharge without warning. Trouble is the walls of the cylinder were too weak to stand too much use and the pin would sometimes wear the edges of the pivot holes.

John

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    If it's a MkI, it'll have "Webley Hawk" roll-stamped down one side of the cylinder, and a large slot headed screw for a barrel retainer/release.
    The MkII has the words "Webley Hawk MkII" roll-stamped between the scope grooves on the top of the cylinder, and uses a grub screw on top of the breech block as a barrel release/retainer.
    I love Hawks and have the full set.
    If it's a MkI and it still has that "baby shit brown" stock finish, that's probably factory original.
    Love the Hawk as I do, I also think it just may have been the rifle that destroyed Webley's reputation. Persisting with it for as long as they did was probably fatal.
    Most assuredly a mkI then as stock is shitty brown and words as described. Much appreciated, better get it out from the scrap bin then!

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    One thing to watch on the Hawk is the pin that secures the mainspring. If the holes through which the pin is secured are elongated or egg shaped, the rifle may discharge without warning. Trouble is the walls of the cylinder were too weak to stand too much use and the pin would sometimes wear the edges of the pivot holes.

John
    From what i have seen so far it is in pretty good shape metal work wise. Just the hideous coloured stock. Oh well time for a project renovation to take place.