Thread: Zeroing distances

Zeroing distances

Hi interested to some others views on scope zeroing distances on a sub 12 ft lb for hunting and some target practice cheers rod

Calibre?

I don't hunt at the moment but have 9 rifles only one is a Pcp.
    I have found that 30 yrds is best for me in n both calibre's
    The v reason being in .22 that gives not far off a 10 yard secondary zero and relativity predictable curve.
    In .177 with the right scope height to power etc I can go from 17 to 40 yards with hardly any difference .
    But the biggest factor for me is you can still see 30 yards accurate enough to set up with down to 6 x zoom I find it cc a bit of a struggle to get pellet on pellet with 4x at 30yards so do go back down to 25 if that's the max the scope can do .

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperneave View Post
    Hi interested to some others views on scope zeroing distances on a sub 12 ft lb for hunting and some target practice cheers rod
    .177 sub 12 30 yards, . 22 sub 12 25 yards, .22 fac 35~40 yards depending on the power.

A.G

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    For hunting sub-12fpe I zero .177 at 35yds, usually with Baracuda Match. My .22 springer usually 22yds depending on pellet used & scope height and .22 pcp usually 30yds again dependant on setup.

This is for general purpose pest control, with the springer set up for closer range stuff.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    .177 sub 12 30 yards, . 22 sub 12 25 yards,

A.G
    Pretty much exactly the same as where I also zero .177 and .22 sub 12ft air rifles.

For any lower power offering e.g. 6-7 ft junior type rifles HW30 etc I usually zero them at around 20 yards

Download "Chairgun" free from the Hawke web site,
    it will show you trajectory on a graph & how to get the best PBR (point blank range) which is where your pellet remains within a pre-set distance of the line of sight of the scope.
    Obviously LOS is a flat straight line where as the pellet flies in an arc so the two only intersect at precise points in space which are the "zero's".

If you don't have a chrono to know your exact muzzle energy, start at .177=30yds, .20=28yds, .22=25yds, .25=22yds. then shoot a group at every 5 yds from 10-40yds & you can plot your own graph from the impacts.

this will sound silly. if i go after rabbits i set the sights at home. thats about ten yards. then in the field i know to aim over or under. 10 yards is spot on. 30 is two inches above.
    never got on with chairgun. sooner rely on experience.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

The simple answer is 'it depends on your ability' amongst one or two other things... 👍

Hi Rod.
    .177 35 yds.
    .22 25 yds.
    I think in general is a good idea to zero at a range where no "hold under" is needed to hit the kill zone, then the only thing you need to worry about is the "hold over", the above examples are ABOUT right on this.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Zeroing

Thanks for the replies different ideas different people I suppose it's whatever works for you . Rod

I suppose it's whatever works for you .
    Got it in one, Rod...

i set all my air rifles at 30 yards its how my dad used too do his years ago

I set mine at about 20 metres as I am not confident enough to get a humane head shot at any further, till I am a bit more experienced/confident. I control pigeons and the odd squirrel but no rabbits so obviously smaller heads swaying around on branches in the wind is harder than a rabbit sitting in the field.

I would like to have a bit more time and maybe a range closer to home to have a bit more practice time.