Thread: Smallest spring piston air pistol?

Smallest spring piston air pistol?

I was researching the Tell 2 air pistol and in the Bluebook of Air Guns, it says that the Tell 2 and Clarke's Bulldog are the smallest spring pistol air pistols. I have searched everywhere and can find no reference or picture of a "Clarke's Bulldog"?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I was researching the Tell 2 air pistol and in the Bluebook of Air Guns, it says that the Tell 2 and Clarke's Bulldog are the smallest spring pistol air pistols. I have searched everywhere and can find no reference or picture of a "Clarke's Bulldog"?
    It is so small it is actually invisible. Perhaps if you put one in a glass test-tube of water and tapped it, you would see a small speck of light spinning in the swirling liquid. They are great for shooting water bears with.

Seriously though, it might be that the Clarke's Bulldog is the American name for the Warrior air-pistol made by Accles & Shelvoke, this was a Clarke's design. The Warrior is a small spring-piston design, possibly even smaller than the Webleys it competed against, this is possible through its concentric piston/barrel arrangement.

Bulldog pic here courtesy of our very own ccdjg.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I love the old adverts.....It fires 'slugs or darts' and wait for it .......'Suitable for garden or playground' the advertisement reads... how different things were then.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    I love the old adverts.....It fires 'slugs or darts' and wait for it .......'Suitable for garden or playground' the advertisement reads... how different things were then.
    My favorite old advertisement was in DT Fletcher's book on Crosman literature. It's a postcard showing the new Crosman rifle being great at silencing noisy stray cats that wake you up in the night. It says no one will ever know. Try that one today!

My favorite old advertisement was in DT Fletcher's book on Crosman literature. It's a postcard showing the new Crosman rifle being great at silencing noisy stray cats that wake you up in the night. It says no one will ever know. Try that one today!
    Another old ad like that here. Politically correct it ain't.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

My personal favourite, politically incorrect quotation is included in "The Book of the BSA Air Rifle (llustrated)" published before the first world war to accompany the LJ / BSA air rifles.

The paragraph in question discusses the value of air rifle shooting in schools and itself quotes from a report from the Medical Officer (Education) London County Council, for the year ending March 31st 1907.

" The tendency of girls to nurse dolls or of boys to play soldiers is absolutely natural. The failure to exhibit these normal tastes may be held to indicate mental defect".

The booklet also suggests that elementary shooting techniques would no doubt soon become part of the currIiculum and compulsorily taught in all council and similar schools.

Regards

Brian

Crosman literature in the 1920s right after WW1 talked about air rifle shooting preparing boys in case the patriotic need came again. Ended up to be true too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    My personal favourite, politically incorrect quotation is included in "The Book of the BSA Air Rifle (llustrated)" published before the first world war to accompany the LJ / BSA air rifles.

The paragraph in question discusses the value of air rifle shooting in schools and itself quotes from a report from the Medical Officer (Education) London County Council, for the year ending March 31st 1907.

" The tendency of girls to nurse dolls or of boys to play soldiers is absolutely natural. The failure to exhibit these normal tastes may be held to indicate mental defect".

The booklet also suggests that elementary shooting techniques would no doubt soon become part of the currIiculum and compulsorily taught in all council and similar schools.

Regards

Brian
    The offending passages here, Brian. Pity the poor boy who didn't enjoy playing soldiers (perhaps because his dad was killed during the Boer War?)... he would have been teased mercilessly by his peers, their certainty of his "mental defect" backed by a Medical Officer, no less. They were tough times, no room for namby pamby pacifists!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery