Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moly coated bullets

Moly coated bullets

Hi all
    What's your thoughts on moly coated bullets ?
    I have read that they can be more accurate in certain circumstances but can also be a pig when your cleaning the barrel but can extend the life of the barrel / rifling .
    There also the point that once you have started to use them that you need to keep on using them for the reasons that the coatings will have been applied and it not advisable to go back onto copper bullets because of the heat expansion and accuracy will be effected etc .
    As I say guys just looking for advise from any of you guys that have used them .

Regards
    Colin

There was a fad among target shooters for these in the 90s.

They came.

They made no difference.

They went.

Nobody cared.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Moly bullets

I've used them in a 22\250 there was know difrents to V Max

Ok
    Has anyone else had any experience of them

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I found them to make a significant improvement in my .357 SW 686 for target shooting but I was never quite sure if it was the moly. I had noticed that the moly coated bullets I was buying were a tad less in diameter than the ordinary ones. Then a friend suggested that I try 9mm TC bullets (which are two tads less in diameter), and they worked just as well! Was not able to explore this much as it was mid 1997.......

Also experienced a lot less leading with coated bullets.

I have not heard of issues reverting back to non coated bullets, I would have thought that a thorough clean first would suffice. It is true that you should not follow lead bullets with jacketed bullets without first really cleaning the bore. The harder jacketed bullet will smear any lead residue into the bore wall, leaving small deformations in the bore wall which become lead magnets - don't ask me how I know .
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I use moly coated in 6mmbr & 6.5x284
    Primarily as one can get a higher velocity with less pressure than a std jacketed bullet.Also for the 284 it seems to have improved barrel life.
    However I'll probably revert to std jacket bullets for the 6mm and may well try molly coating them myself as the cost is increasing for the precoated ones .

ATB
    James

Cheers for the feedback guys

Back in the 90's there were companies that properly Moly coated the bore of your rifle which was the advice given at the time if you wanted to use Moly coated bullets for whatever reason. The problem with just using Moly bullets was that they left a residue in the bore which could affect accuracy by causing slight inconsistencies as it was not an even coating and could not be completely removed during normal cleaning so you would get buildups of the stuff in patches. I remember when the fad started as I was a benchrest shooter at the time and it didn't take long for us to realise it was not as good as all the hype had led us to believe, in fact, when I collected a new bench gun from Dave Tooley he advised me not to use the stuff. IMO I can't see any benefits from using it.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Perhaps HBN would be a modern alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHYzGg7Ucc
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    I use moly coated in 6mmbr & 6.5x284
    Primarily as one can get a higher velocity with less pressure than a std jacketed bullet.Also for the 284 it seems to have improved barrel life.
    However I'll probably revert to std jacket bullets for the 6mm and may well try molly coating them myself as the cost is increasing for the precoated ones .

ATB
    James
    I have used Lapau silver tips in my 6.5 x 55 F class rifle buy them by the 1000, very accurate less pressure and just a couple of patches to clean.
    I love my country, but fear my government

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    Perhaps HBN would be a modern alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHYzGg7Ucc
    I thought HBN would be a good idea some years ago so bought 4oz of the stuff on a group buy, it did not make a jot of difference.

TB.

optima silk,

I used moly coated Lapua Scenar 0.308 155s for fifteen (15) years in my custom BAT rifle.

I had the luck to buy 1000 of them for £12/100 in the year 2000

What I can tell you :

1) The moly coating did not increase accuracy compared with standard, un-coated Lapua Scenar 155s, nor was the ballistic performance increased. Both grouped in 0.15" to 0.25" (10 shots) at 100 m.
    2) For a custom, finish lapped barrel like I had (Krieger cut rifled, 0.298" internal dimensions), the moly coats really did not make much of a difference to the amount of cleaning needed.
    3) Despite the moly, small amounts of copper were still deposited, along with moly & powder residue.
    4) Cleaning - I used IOSSO bore paste to clean my bores, and it took the same amount of effort to clean after the moly coats, as it did for the un-coated. Two short stroke passes with IOSSO Bore Patse on a cotton patch wrapped around a 7mm bronze brush, a check with Butches Boreshine for residual copper, and that was it.

It seems that moly, as has been said, was a fad that has now passed.

A chappie from Sierra bullets (Mr. Kevin Thomas) did a test for Precision Shooting magazine, and found that moly did not increase barrel life, did not increase accuracy, did not alter the ballistic performace, and did not materially decrease the cleaning requirements.

It seems the only thing that was definitive about moly, was that you had to increase the powder charge to get the velocity back up to that of the un-coated bullets - this seemed to be in the order of 0.5 to 1 grain more.

I never suffered from the other moly characteristic - the first round or two after cleaning not being in the group.

So, don't bother about moly

If you do, invest in some IOSSO Bore Paste !

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    So, don't bother about moly If you do, invest in some IOSSO Bore Paste !

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ
    THE definitive answer to the moly question - it really should be made a sticky.

tac

Thanks for all your feedback it really is appreciated

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    I thought HBN would be a good idea some years ago so bought 4oz of the stuff on a group buy, it did not make a jot of difference.

TB.
    I have known an F Class shooter who used that stuff. It caused a build up in his barrel and buggered the accuracy until he finally managed to clean it out.

Good quality copper bullets have been about for years.....you have to wonder why

You dont see Molly about much now
    I'm a maggot in another life you know