Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who likes Traditional looking springers, what's your favorite

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    It is a good looking gun n its well designed. However. I would get gym membership and start working out in readiness for 470 ownership then

Dave
    He already has a 9.5 lbs LGU vs 9.4 lbs 470 so he probably is a gym member anyway

I remember seeing a new HW35 Export for the first time in the late seventies when I couldn't afford to buy one for myself. Compared to many of its contemporary offerings, the Export with its sometimes beautiful walnut stock and the drain pipe barrel certainly made a lasting impression on me as it represented the pinnacle of available legal hunting rifles and was used in the press at the time by the late John Darling.

I have owned many examples of HW's over the years following, but only recently, about three year ago, acquired a .22 Export sporting a well marked stock and fine bluing. The gun was born in the late seventies and still shoots perfectly following a service. I own a lot of springers. However, my favourite recoiling gun to shoot at present is most definitely this particular example of the German airgun makers art. It is not the quietest action in the world, but blimey it is accurate with its preferred diet of Hobbys in combination with the infamous Rekord tirgger unit and the required light hold. There is definitely something special about shooting such an icon, and it is easy to understand why so many experienced shooters hold the gun in such high regard. Most if not all of these guns will still be working as well as they do now in another century.

Another gun that I am particularly fond of is the Feinwerkbau Sport. This was one of the first "full powered" springers that became available and was more than capable of meeting the legal limits that were so important to us all of those years ago. In addition to power, the gun was also sleek, light and, apart from the questionable trigger, was and is a joy to shoot. I also own an example of this gun (.177 124) still and enjoy shooting the gun as it punishes me mercilessly if I do not follow through properly regarding trigger technique. I reckon the Dave Welham "Mastersport" custom version could be considered as highly desirable and easily on a parr with the best from the Venom stable.

For some reason, I also always fancied the Original 34S but never got round to buying one.

Dont you just love old spring powered "proper" guns?

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Air Arms sidelevers in super carbine - all nice looking and well balanced guns, late model airsporters and Theoben Fenman also just look right to me, also Webley Omega.

I have an HW80 and HW77 that are both super carbined as well which I like.

Webley Osprey - probably the worse looking gun ever after the HW35 yet the Webley tracker looks so good - its a fine line
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Hi,

I love the clean lines, deep bluing and adjustability of my Theoben Imperator FT.

Pete

The FWB Sport and Webley Omega, possible BSF 70 deluxe, are the best looking break barrelled spring rifles. HW95 pretty too if without the hideous sound moderator that they insist on putting on. The Annie 335 if they had done the furniture better.
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...e/IMGP6760.jpg
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...e/IMGP6775.jpg
    http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...IMG_3221_1.jpg

Theoben Sirocco for Gasram break barrel. Have underlever in the SLR88.

Air Arms ProSport has it. Runners up BSA Centenary, Webley MKIII, HW77, and Original 50.

The HW35E was ugly, even dressed in good wood

The best spring 12ft/lbs rifle is the Park 91, but its pig ugly.
    Last edited by Muskett; 28-02-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    He already has a 9.5 lbs LGU vs 9.4 lbs 470 so he probably is a gym member anyway
    I don't need a gym, I regularly do weights. Quarter pounders and Half pounders

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    .... possible BSF 70 deluxe, are the best looking break barrelled spring rifles

Air Arms ProSport has iT
    At last, we agree on something! The BSF 70 Deluxe is to my mind the most 'typical' break barrel springer ever made, you know if you had to have just one to represent all of them, and in the Delux stock it is the epitome of classical elegance.

The ProSport is very good looking, probably the best looking production springer.

(I will ignore the HW35 comment...)

Just about anything with a finger groove stock. HW35 or HW55 are favorites. Or the Walther lg53!

[QUOTE=Hsing-ee;7206863]At last, we agree on something! The BSF 70 Deluxe is to my mind the most 'typical' break barrel springer ever made, you know if you had to have just one to represent all of them, and in the Delux stock it is the epitome of classical elegance. [QUOTE]

Agreed. Although another plug for the older Diana 35. Which doesn't have the funny BSF rings at the front of the cylinder, or their heavy trigger blade (otherwise I think the 70 is a cracking looking gun).