Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe there is no way to ship a airgun from the U.K. to the US?

I can't believe there is no way to ship a airgun from the U.K. to the US?

Does anyone really know what it takes. I can't believe it just can't be done. I could even have it shipped to a registered firearms dealer in the US, though that is not required in the US for delivery. It is a matter of paperwork? Fees?

Sorry found my own depressing answer on another site, can't even ship a gun stock? Insanity.

"While I am not a VCR bill expert. It seems to have changed the practice of how shipping companies deal and more importantly the practice of customs. Bottom line is that air rifles and pistols do not make it out of the country. There has been some reported luck using ground services with misleading information. But other than that. My personal experience, including Steve and Pomona Air, and David Slade with Theoben USA is that it is virtually impossible for it to be done. The only legal route is to have it sent via an importer/exporter. That takes about 5-6 months if you can find anyone to do it, and goes on a shipping palette. This information is direct after talking with Theoben, Daystate, UPS Special materials UK, Royal Mail, and Parcel Force. So far I have had 1 rifle, 1 pistol, and 1 air rifle stock, not make it out of the country after multiple attempts. The stock made it after multiple attempts after the customs form was changed from airgun stock to cross bow stock. If you have experience that has successfully had anything sent and arrived without lying on the customs, I would indeed be interested to learn how, but I spoke with just about everyone I could on this matter."

It's all incorrect, actually. If you find a shipper, you are good to go. But it's a huge "if".

In practice, any firearms be they air or powder nowadays will almost certainly need to be freighted by a carrier that accepts them. This is fine if you have 30, 40 pieces, but ludicrously expensive to pointlessness if you don't.

Regular courier companies just don't want to know. However do take a look at Parcelforce's site as recently IIRC Garvin pointed out some interesting info in this regard that was published there, and good luck.

Customs are not interested if the airgun/s are sub-12 ft/lbs, otherwise an export licence is needed, again not a big deal, been there, done that.

Customs in the US, you will need to find out for yourself.

Personal export i.e. as hold luggage is easy, obviously if you conveniently happen to be going that way anyway.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...etail/a_id/125

See "guns for sporting use"

However if you go to Parcelforce's site - it says no international delivery.

And Royal Mail will direct you to Parcelforce as soon as you need to send anything over 2kg.

Go figure is the appropriate expression, I believe.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

International trade

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Does anyone really know what it takes. I can't believe it just can't be done. I could even have it shipped to a registered firearms dealer in the US, though that is not required in the US for delivery. It is a matter of paperwork? Fees?
    I live at Auckland New Zealand. We have no problems importing most long air guns. Last year I bought an Improved Bonehill Britannia rifle from Sporting Antiques. They used a courier named PDQ(pretty damn quick).These folk had my air rifle classified as a 'hazardous' item and got it to me in under a week.
    The year before I got a Webley Service from Mick's guns. It took about 8 months to get out of the UK but I got it in the end!
    So,old air guns CAN be got out of Britain!
    Trev

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    I live at Auckland New Zealand. We have no problems importing most long air guns. Last year I bought an Improved Bonehill Britannia rifle from Sporting Antiques. They used a courier named PDQ(pretty damn quick).These folk had my air rifle classified as a 'hazardous' item and got it to me in under a week.
    The year before I got a Webley Service from Mick's guns. It took about 8 months to get out of the UK but I got it in the end!
    So,old air guns CAN be got out of Britain!
    Trev
    Just contacted PDQ, they have a friendly website!

i am very interested my own self!!

if any body figgers out a way to send airguns to the states from the UK please share with the rest of us. i for one have been kept up nights thinking about a airgun i have seen for sale on this forum and other sites in the UK on the other hand i would be a very poor man if i could buy and ship airguns from the land where the streets are paved with theobens and they use BSA and webleys to fix broken fences
    Aint no fun when the rabbits got the gun

Quote Originally Posted by charlie350 View Post
    if any body figgers out a way to send airguns to the states from the UK please share with the rest of us. i for one have been kept up nights thinking about a airgun i have seen for sale on this forum and other sites in the UK on the other hand i would be a very poor man if i could buy and ship airguns from the land where the streets are paved with theobens and they use BSA and webleys to fix broken fences
    Maybe worth asking the PDQ guys? It would indeed be fantastic if it were simpler than it is currently known to be, for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie350 View Post
    Hell in some parts of our country,they even use perfectly good Webley pistols as weights to stop rubbish bins from moving around.

I had an Accuracy International plastic stock returned to me from Australia a while back, I then got a bill from Parcelforce for the return delivery cost. Still fighting that one as they agreed to send it in the first place.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I'll share what I get back from PDQ, but you got to love shipping it as "Hazardous". You deal with insanity with insanity. Dumb with dumber.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I'll share what I get back from PDQ, but you got to love shipping it as "Hazardous". You deal with insanity with insanity. Dumb with dumber.
    I sold a cast iron Kilgore small cap pistol to a USA collector a couple of years ago. I sent it by our premium airmail service (Airsure) which is similar to USPS Global Priority.

It went dead on tracking...Just "it's on it's way" for a week or so...I waited a bit longer and then rang the Post Office, and eventually (It's tough to talk to these people) was told it had been refused after security checks as they deemed it being unsafe to send by air, and had been sent instead by sea

I had enclosed a description and web print out with the toy and left the loading gate open to make it quite plain it was a toy if the package was opened, but I am afraid we have taken leave of our senses over here in many ways in assessing what is a hazard, which is remarkable when you consider a complete new industry has built up around this sort of thing (health and safety etc.).

I have declared a firearm when bringing guns BACK from the USA and was amused by the USA check in security staff on one occasion when they saw a Webley pistol..."Hell, this is a BB gun not a firearm sir!" was the comment from the firearms guy (It was Indiana where a lot of hunters seem to fly in / out!)...But you get a G.C.A.P. sticker for your case and priority handling as they see so many guns and so much ammo (It was Delta).

The cap gun?....Well the buyer was in Texas so you can imagine the discussion we had, but he was very understanding and expressed his condolences at the nation of wimps (he used a stronger word) that we had become.

I did express my confusion to the post office investigator on the phone and said that the only way the gun could have caused a scare on a flight was if someone had taken a toolkit onboard and removed their seat then burrowed into the hold to re-appear waving it around.......They were not amused and I stopped short of what I wanted to say as I use the Post Office a lot

Good luck in your quest for sensibility,

ATB, ED
    Last edited by edbear2; 27-02-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Are you able to ship to EU countries without all the hassle?

Just curious, as I know for a fact airguns coming out of the Netherlands make it to the US without a problem.

Got this back from PDQ, looks like they can get it done. Just need a real life example to get the cost. I assume it won't be cheap but for the right gun it may well be worth it.

Dear Steve,
    We would be able to assist with the shipping of the airgun to the US and if you can get confirmation that the airgun in question is below 12lb/Ft (rifle) and 6lb/Ft (pistol) muzzle velocity then this would not require an export licence to ship from the UK. To be able to advise on cost we would need to know the make model & calibre of the weapon and where in the UK it will be shipped from and the address in the US it is going to along with which international Airport this is to be shipped to.

Best Regards,

Nigel Jones
    Logistics Supervisor

PDQ Freight Ltd / Art Move
    - Established 1983 -

nigel@pdq.uk.com
    Direct: +44 (0) 1784 262655
    Tel: +44 (0) 1784 243695
    Fax: +44 (0) 1784 242237
    http://www.pdq.uk.com

Unhappy

I looked in to sending a Webley Tempest to a friend in Cyprus, The PO said it can only go by a certain service and would cost around £55 just in postage!

Needless to say it's still here in Blighty

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/