Thread: BSA Mercury S - Strip/assembly guide

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

BSA Mercury S - Strip/assembly guide

Gents,

Do any of you know of any comprehensive (preferably with pictures) guides / instructions for stripping & assembling the BSA Mercury S?

I've had a bit of a search online but there doesn't seem to be anything on youtube and the only diagrams I've found are the ones for parts, such as on the Chambers site.

I'm going to be fitting a Welsh Willy kit to mine along with new piston head/seal/buffer washer however most of the stuff I've found via google seems to suggest the Titan spring is a 'bit harsh' when fitted to the Mercury... I don't know if the one in the WW kit is cut down to standard Mercury length when he sizes the guide/tophat to it.

Just for info, the rifle I've just got hasn't been used in 37 years, hence the need for a bit of a service!

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

The Idiots Guide sticky will help ... posts 37, 38 and 122. No pictures and not specifically the S but generic enough to give a good basic set of information that will do the job. Really not very difficult if you have stripped a break barrel before. Just take care when removing the trigger block as there may be some preload on the spring. Wear leather gloves and cover the block with an old towel as you release the block from the cylinder. Better safe than sorry.
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil, I'll give it a look later
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Not sure if this is in the 'guide' or not. A tip: when unscrewing the trigger block, clamp the block in a padded vice (I use 6mm rubber belting to protect the parts) and unscrew the action from the block. This way you have far more control at the point of 'thread release' as the spring suddenly pushes the action from the block.
    Cheers, Phil

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post

I'm going to be fitting a Welsh Willy kit to mine along with new piston head/seal/buffer washer however most of the stuff I've found via google seems to suggest the Titan spring is a 'bit harsh' when fitted to the Mercury... I don't know if the one in the WW kit is cut down to standard Mercury length when he sizes the guide/tophat to it.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
    You won't have anything to worry about with one of Wills kits, the spring will be shortened to the right length and properly finished, so it won't be harsh to shoot.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Not sure if this is in the 'guide' or not. A tip: when unscrewing the trigger block, clamp the block in a padded vice (I use 6mm rubber belting to protect the parts) and unscrew the action from the block. This way you have far more control at the point of 'thread release' as the spring suddenly pushes the action from the block.
    Cheers, Phil
    When unscrewing, I use half a tennis ball over the jaws of the action to cushion it. The same when refitting. Allows you to keep the pressure on whilst turning the action. Having a mate makes it easier.

Thanks for the replies gents, much appreciated.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    You got a Mercury S Paul? You should have said you wanted one.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    You got a Mercury S Paul? You should have said you wanted one.
    How many you got?
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Just the one, a .177 (and a speeding fine to pay)
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

While we are talking Mercurys.....

Has anyone fitted a different spring which is a bit kinder preload wise when stripping and refitting? Mine is shooting lovely at the moment, but putting it back together after a strip is a real pain. Would a different spring make it easier without sacrificing smoothness or power?