Thread: HW35 Help and advice

HW35 Help and advice

I realise a search on here will probably give me all the answers but I thought I'd ask anyway .
    Yesterday I picked up a HW35 in .22 plus scope , silencer , sling , gun bag and pellets for a sensible mates rates price .
    The stock is ambi and in fairly good nick , the metalwork however has been sprayed with smoothrite or similar and the barrel has a couple of rust dots .
    The barrel can be broken without using the latch although the latch does have good tension.
    The silencer is an atech ? and has been bodged on to the barrel with a silencer adapter.
    The rifle shoots well but as yet I've not had chance to chrono it .
    The scope is a 2x6x32 ir with a sunshade and no visible name , not particularly good.
    Now the questions ;
    Do I keep it and tinker and make it better with lots of tlc ?
    Do I sell it on as a project ?
    I'm not really a tinkerer but have friends that are .
    Is it best left painted or stripped and re- blued ?
    Should I remove the bodged silencer if possible ?
    Where is the serial number ?
    Will it all be worth it in the end ?
    I currently only shoot .177 but am happy to have a .22 in the cupboard to help hone my skills .
    Your opinions , help and advice as always is gratefully received.

On the older '35's the serial No. was often on the back block. You can date the '35 often by the configuration of the safety. Up to 1976 (ish) they had no safety. '76 to '80 they had single sided safety and from then on the current double sided safety. Up to 1980 the '35 also sported a leather piston seal. Work wise, it's up to you and how much you want to spend (or do). You might want to check under the silencer adaptor as the pressed in dove tail for the front sights would often require filing off for an adaptor to fit. If the plunger doesn't hold the barrel locked, it could have worn (or the spring could be sha99ed) - continued use will wear a groove in the breech face of the cylinder. Re-bluing and other finish options (Cerakoting) weigh up about the same cost so just decide how much you want to do with it.

Is there a deep gouge on the breech face from the barrel latch? If so, pass it on to a tinkerer...

A while ago I bought a wreck '35 from a friend of a club member. Bent barrel, broken stock, rusty, bent cocking lever etc. It was a labour of love but its now one of the nicest condition standard stocked '35 Ive seen in a long while. Its full power (.22) and a pleasure to shoot. O.K. - so I will never get back my costs (re-blue, s/h stock etc.) but like I say it was a labour of love. The '35 is one of the easiest rifles to strip and repair and what have you got to lose?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...?sort=6&page=1

I say go for it,be careful, enjoy yourself and learn. If you get stuck with anything there is a mine of information and help on here. Even if it all goes mammaries up what have you lost?

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Just to add a thought, Al - If it turns out well, you can always keep an eye out for a .177 barrel.

Thanks for the replies.
    The serial number has been painted over so unfortunately unless I strip the paint off I'm not going to be able to make it out.
    The safety is one sided and the stock is ambi , so I guess that probably makes it late 70's
    I may just use it for now and tinker a bit as time goes on.
    Any ideas on an approximate cost of a re-blue ?

There is a 35 action for sale in the adds section, might be worth a look