Thread: Classic / period / old scopes.

Classic / period / old scopes.

So, as promised...

My old 4x40 is fixed parallax and, I presume, set to a non-airgun appropriate distance.

What's the aiming technique? Focus on the reticle or focus on the target?

Having said that, I'm enjoying the simplicity of having nothing to twiddle with!

Thanks,

Rob.

You don't have to focus on the reticle, make sure the eye bell (ocular end) is adjusted for you so the reticle is in focus, nice and crisp, make sure the eye relief, distance from eye bell to your eye is comfortable then just look through the scope at the target and both the target and reticle should appear be in focus then, when the moment is right, squeeze the trigger, Simples ! It's a good thing to train yourself to keep both eyes open when looking through a scope. Your non shooting eye needs a certain amount of light going through it to keep the shooting eye adjusted correctly and it also eliminates the strain of keeping one eye shut which helps. It takes time and effort but is worth it. Another thing, as your scope doesn't have parallax adjustment, keep your head/cheek weld on the cheek piece in the same position from shot to shot.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    You don't have to focus on the reticle, make sure the eye bell (ocular end) is adjusted for you so the reticle is in focus, nice and crisp, make sure the eye relief, distance from eye bell to your eye is comfortable then just look through the scope at the target and both the target and reticle should appear be in focus then, when the moment is right, squeeze the trigger, Simples ! It's a good thing to train yourself to keep both eyes open when looking through a scope. Your non shooting eye needs a certain amount of light going through it to keep the shooting eye adjusted correctly and it also eliminates the strain of keeping one eye shut which helps. It takes time and effort but is worth it. Another thing, as your scope doesn't have parallax adjustment, keep your head/cheek weld on the cheek piece in the same position from shot to shot.
    OK. I spun the eye bell and it didn't do anything, but it was a pretty cursory attempt. I'll look again.

Thanks.

Rob.

Rob, if the scope is off the gun hold it up to your eye and adjust the eye bell while looking at a well lit ceiling until the reticle is crisp and clear. Turn it all the way until the reticle is fuzzy then keep turning the other way until it becomes clear. Your not focussing the scope to a target with the eye bell, your adjusting it to get the reticle sharp. If after doing this, when the scope is back on the gun, both target and reticle should be sharp unless your target is out of the distance the scope is parallaxed for in which case you will have to move the target further away or closer, failing that have the scope re-parallaxed at the distance you want.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.