Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading costs calculator

Reloading costs calculator

Following on from the other thread, i thought i would post

Just getting back into reloading myself (and saddling myself with huge debts for the outlay (all my kit is in a storage container in the UK) )

This is a very handy app that will immediately calculate the cost per round and allow you to compare it to buying factory ammo.
    It also has reloading data too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...stant&hl=en_GB

Its not that hard to work out, does it really justify an app
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

All I know, or care about, is that I can afford to reload and shoot, whereas if I didn't, I couldn't.

For me, that's it.

Next thing - if there isn't one already - is an APP that helps you to find an APP.

tac

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    What it wont tell you is the cost of gains in accuracy and reliability from a handload against factory, or factor in time.

I worked it out ages ago and even leaving these out of the equation it was a no brainer, particularly given how much 556 I was getting through.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    What it wont tell you is the cost of gains in accuracy and reliability from a handload against factory, or factor in time.

I worked it out ages ago and even leaving these out of the equation it was a no brainer, particularly given how much 556 I was getting through.
    Try shooting .45-70 Govt the way we do most weeks at a bazillion £££ a hundred. I can cast my own bullets, load my own loads with 30gr of whatever for around £24/C.

tac

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Try shooting .45-70 Govt the way we do most weeks at a bazillion £££ a hundred. I can cast my own bullets, load my own loads with 30gr of whatever for around £24/C.

tac
    Yea, it works out a bit more with 77gr SMKs Tac but its still a bloody sight cheaper overall, and gives match quality ammo for less than milsurp. Factor in that I have not paid for brass for a year or two and have a couple of thousand GGG 5.56 once fired cases to get through and its cheaper still. Like I say, in most cases its a no brainer.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    Yea, it works out a bit more with 77gr SMKs Tac but its still a bloody sight cheaper overall, and gives match quality ammo for less than milsurp. Factor in that I have not paid for brass for a year or two and have a couple of thousand GGG 5.56 once fired cases to get through and its cheaper still. Like I say, in most cases its a no brainer.
    I have around 250 .45-70Govt cases that refuse to wear out with the low loads I shoot.

Lapua brass for the .308s and 6.5, and Grafs for the 7.5s. 7mm stuff is RWS from the late 80's that is still going strong.

My 1000 nickel .357Mag cases, bought in 1996, occasionally get frilly at the top, but again, because they are not over-worked in reloading, seem to be going of forever.

tac

I like reloading. QED.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Ruger_shooter is offline Meadowlark Lemon's Personal Tailor
    I enjoy reloading (just as I enjoy fly tying); the app won't have an enjoyment adjustment to the calculation. If you have to worry about the cost then you really shouldn't be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_shooter View Post
    I enjoy reloading (just as I enjoy fly tying); the app won't have an enjoyment adjustment to the calculation. If you have to worry about the cost then you really shouldn't be doing it.
    As I noted earlier, if I didn't reload, I sure as heck couldn't afford to shoot ANY centrefire stuff.

tac

As I noted earlier, if I didn't reload, I sure as heck couldn't afford to shoot ANY centrefire stuff.

tac
    personally i like reloading as it gives the user satisfaction......its not just pulling the trigger its all the little stages leading up to it

PPU ammo in my 22-250 i could not beat by reloading my own

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    PPU ammo in my 22-250 i could not beat by reloading my own
    Sir, I'd be amazed if careful handloading and development could not beat any factory load. Are you basing your opinion on fact?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I like reloading. QED.
    Me too - it's a hobby in itself. The shooting is merely there just to use the ammo lol.

Sir, I'd be amazed if careful handloading and development could not beat any factory load. Are you basing your opinion on fact?

tac
    Likely he is talking cost wise and is probably right if you factor in reloading time, brass costs, electric for tumbling etc.
    Thanks for looking