Thread: leupold 3-9 or 6.5-20?

leupold 3-9 or 6.5-20?

Hi everyone,

looking at my first leupold scope, can anyone give me a heads up on which one of these to go for?
    im looking to stick this on a pro sport for target and hunting, my guess is the 3-9 is not powerful enough for this task but as many of you know the prosport isnt a light rifle.

if i was to go for either one what sort of price would i be looking at for a secondhand unit of each?

thanks in advance,
    andy

Also has anyone got an opinion on the CDS version of the 3-9? Very curious about the custom turret option, is it possible to have one set for airgun ranges?

The 6.5x20 is a great scope.

I have two of them.

Neither is mounted on a spring airgun, though they have been.

Whereas I have the following, from memory, on springers:

2-7x28
    1.5-6x32
    4x28
    4x32 (twice)
    6x32
    6x42
    3-9x40
    3.5-10x40
    4-12x40

The 6.5-20x40 is too long, and just too much scope.

I am prejudiced. I grew up when 4x40 was a big scope for airguns, and 4-12x40 or 3-9x50 top of the range.
    But they are all you need at springer ranges. Rabbit sniping from a bipod-fitted PCP maybe higher mag is useful, but not on a general use Pro Sport.

At a practical level, Leupolds have long eye relief and the 6.5-20s are long scopes, so they will cover your loading port, which is, at best, annoying.

Long eye relief, especially on the 6.5-20x40 and the thin duplex reticle and relatively narrow FOV on this model may pose problems in hunting scenarios.
    Not something others can advise on though to be fair, have a look through a few units and find out what you prefer personally.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

3-9x33 is all the leupold a springer needs superb scope.nice and small and pardon the pun as clear as glass..lifetime guarantee and once owned you should keep..as if you ever sell you always buy another..very few come on the second hand market they are that good

I use mine for hunting and it's perfectly good at 25 yards indoor target. A 20 times mag scope is not good on a springer. Especially if doing standing shots when the Shakes induced are massive..

A great scope that complements any springer
    proportion is good as it's small . Provided you like a fine reticle and not a mill dot ..mil dot can be got from leupold custom shop but can be an expensive choice...I have owned the 3-9x33 for 20 years and always have at least one.
    An alternative in mil dot is a clearidge 3-9x32 mil dot very similar but not a leupold..I have owned both but as said once owned you always need the small leupy

thanks for the advice people, definitive enough for me to know the 3-9x33 is the sensible option, they dont come up often secondhand as i have been watching for the past month or so,

the only question i have now is whether someone here has had any experience with the cds version which featured the elevation turret adjustment.. can anyone vouch for leupold on custom building a turret for airgun ranges?

thanks again

Leupold

There after sales service is one of the best. I have a MK4 10 x 42 and they re pa'd it for airgun ranges and they will also put target turrets on there scopes but not sure if they charge for this? Look for older Leupolds...80's and 90's they just seem that better glass, or it maybe just me? Mach 1.5