Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most satisfying target to shoot at.

Smile

I save the small Actimel containers, filled with water so they don't blow over in the wind, quite a nice splash when you hit them and satisfying when you hit them at 20/25 yards with a Walther Winchester with open sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Actually, what we did was to place a painted sheet of steel behind the egg, so you could see where the misses landed. However it was not obvious that the steel sheet was probably another ten yards away, which is quite a lot of pellet drop at that range and only 12fpe.

Now that's what you really call cheating...
    Ahhhh...., I know., your first pound was to lead everyone into a false sense of security & the second was on the money 50 odd people later as you knew the distance having set up the egg??? Lol we're you hustling??
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    A steel plate several hundred yards away. That wait to hear the 'gong' as the sound takes ages to get back to you.
    Out of interest do you know how long the sound would take to travel back to you if the target was 1000 yards out, just curious.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Firebirds!

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Ahhhh...., I know., your first pound was to lead everyone into a false sense of security & the second was on the money 50 odd people later as you knew the distance having set up the egg??? Lol we're you hustling??
    I think you're coming here for a visit fairly soon; you'll have the chance to experience the wind, perhaps. Even if one knew the range, getting the wind right is a challenge . . . . . .
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Out of interest do you know how long the sound would take to travel back to you if the target was 1000 yards out, just curious.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Approx 2.7 seconds.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Approx 2.7 seconds.
    Thanks Rich.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Hot melt glue mint imperials to golf tee's and Get a peice of wood and drill holes too take the golf tee's so it is easy to change when you have shot them as they give a good plume of dust also I use shotgun primers in a peice of box section steel with a Peice of angle bolted at one end with a spring to pull them together with a bolt which acts as a firing pin in the hole then use a bamboo skewer as a trigger good practice at 30yards and a nice bang and flash shotgun primers are a lot cheaper than blanks at £4 a hundred

I think you're coming here for a visit fairly soon; you'll have the chance to experience the wind, perhaps. Even if one knew the range, getting the wind right is a challenge . . . . . .
    Fair enough, I take my hat off to you rich wind is such a hard thing to get right especially at 60 of yrds,
    I'm not one for bigging myself up, I learned that once after spouting at how easy hitting a beer can was at about 20yrds...
    I was then handed a super cheap gamo springer with an even worse scope (looked like a coke bottle when i peered through it) followed by some non lead pellets that we're bullet shaped and told to "go on then"
    This was in a mates field, I didn't have my rifle with me and they had never shot anything els!!!!

Did I look silly?????!!

Anyway since then I'm very carfull of judging things like that., love to have a go though just for the giggle
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Snails
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Snails
    Have you seen the film called turbo??

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    Snails
    .. on the back of a sheet of plywood that had been laying flat on the ground overnight . . yes I remember them.

And the plums, slightly mouldy and swamped with wasps . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Have you seen the film called turbo??
    No, I haven't.
    Me and Rich used to zap snails at 53 yards, the length of our garden, that were attached to an 8x4 sheet of weathered marine ply.
    The shells turn into 1,000 razor blades and utterly slice 'n' dice the little buggers.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joejack View Post
    I save the small Actimel containers, filled with water so they don't blow over in the wind, quite a nice splash when you hit them and satisfying when you hit them at 20/25 yards with a Walther Winchester with open sights.
    A similar idea is to use old 35mm film tubs, the plastic containers with a snap lid. Go to your local boots/high street photo lab/ camera shop or whoever processes film (and yes- it's still used you heathens) and scrounge the empties- once they get to know you they'll save them for you.

Fill them with water, place cap side down and shoot them.

The Hydrostatic pressure will launch them skywards quite impressively. The winner is the person who gets the highest launch Quick tip- the clear ones seem to go higher than the black ones, not that I'm suggesting you cheat of course
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Following on from the previous answer....

Bullet at about 2,800 feet per second (depending on load, drag etc) so just over a second from trigger pull to gong hit.

Sound travels about about 376 yards per second (sea level, pressure etc) so so 2.66 seconds.

So from trigger pull to sound returning is about 3.7 seconds. Its great watching the bullet hit the gong, start it swinging and then hear the noise.