Thread: New 25mtr .177 competition optics advice please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New 25mtr .177 competition optics advice please

Hi, i have been lucky enough to purchase an EV2 Mk4 .177 which i intend to use purely for indoor 25mtr comps at my club (Preston Grasshoppers) could anyone please offer some guidance on what type of scope i should be looking at please, £200 max or i have some explaining to do

i have been looking at Nikko Stirling Target Master 1 Inch 2.5-10x42, Walther PRS 4-24x50 IGR and the Hawke Vantage IR 4-12x50 over at uttings uk. I currently use the edgar bros opti tt 5-20x 50 on my hw100 and that is set to x12 mag which suits me nicely but i am open to ideas.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer, i am very new to air rifle competitions and i am on a bit of a tight budget so genuinely do appreciate any tips or help offered by the experienced members.

AtB

Derren
    .22 HW100T, .177 HW70, .177HW40, .177EV2 Mk4

what kinda competition? FT? benchrest?
    ATB,
    yana

Scopes

I am guessing Benchrest?

I think you will struggle with your budget. You might be better getting something second hand.
    Reticle is EVERYTHING. Hawke mil dot is very thick and can cover the x completely. I recently fitted a Sightron S-II 36x44 to my Brno about £400 if you shop around they sometimes turn up as people upgrade.
    I have a Hawke Airmax30 AMX really quite fine glass as well.

I once was told "Only a rich man can afford cheap glass"

Hope this helps

Hi chaps, sorry yes its bench rest, thanks for the tips Horgi, i honestly didnt realise that 200 would not really be suitable, and in one of those weird coincedences life occasionally throws up i was offered and picked up a half-mil Nikko target master 4-16x44 for £149 on Friday so hopefully it will be enough to get me started and through a full season, i shall however start saving up now for something more suitable later this year.

To be honest if i had known sooner i would have risked the wrath of my lovely wife and gone for the Hawke you have Horgi but such is life, hoping the Nikko will do for now (at least according to the website it will)

Thanks again, and sorry again for not putting all the info story of my life.

AtB
    Derren
    .22 HW100T, .177 HW70, .177HW40, .177EV2 Mk4

Maybe a Hawke Varmint? OR its fellow clone?
    I use those in 6-24 as 'cheapo' 100m scopes but they're for sale in other magnifications as well
    ATB,
    yana

What class of BR? This could dictate the maximum magnification you can use. Also check the prevailing rules for permissible weight and stock design.