Thread: New 25mtr .177 competition optics advice please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Maybe a Hawke Varmint? OR its fellow clone?
    I use those in 6-24 as 'cheapo' 100m scopes but they're for sale in other magnifications as well
    ATB,
    yana

What class of BR? This could dictate the maximum magnification you can use. Also check the prevailing rules for permissible weight and stock design.

Hi Zephyr, it appears as usual i have jumped feet first into something that i totally misundertood, i have been shooting at my local indoor club with a .22 air rifle on a bipod resting on a table at the firing point (i thought this was 'Benchrest' shooting), i have no idea what class it was for distance was 25mtrs i am going to the club weds eve and i will find out what type of competition it was that i had fired over the winter, apologies for all the confusion, and thanks for all the help.

take care
    D
    .22 HW100T, .177 HW70, .177HW40, .177EV2 Mk4

Red face

Guys and gals, thank you all so very much for your help, i have just been over to http://www.ukbr22.org.uk/ and after having a good read i have realised that my version of bench rest shooting and the offical version are totally different things, it definetly looks like something i would love to get into but i will have a talk with the higher ups at my local club to see if its viable for 1 shooter as i have never heard anyone mention it specifically.

If i could start the post again it would be... utter noob needs help with the difference between arse and elbow.. or some such, at least i have learned something, i shall now slink off into a dark corner and not bother you good folk again

Thank you all once again as you can see i really do need all the help i can get
    take care
    D

First off, there are other bodies than UKBR22 that administer BR. Plenty of clubs shoot to NSRA rules which are substantially different and don't have such defined classes. There are also regional leagues such as the Midlands which allow you to have a bi-pod and a back rest, but the target card roundels are pretty tough; on the other hand they work on inward gauging which is more generous.

Back to the matter of the scope, and your budget. In my opinion you should look out for a Falcon T35 second hand, they go for about 200 quid give or take. They are a fixed mag 35x scope with a very fine cross-hair and if you get the silver version with 1/8 clicks (most of the black ones have 1/4 clicks) then you have everything you need. Take the large sidewheel off, you don't need it for BR.

I meant to add, if you want an intro to the Midlands league or the Devon league I'll forward you the contacts. You're too late for the 2017 summer comps as the entries closed last week, but it sounds like you're not ready yet. These leagues are postal, by the way; some of them you post your shot card to the scorer, and others you get a nominated person at your club to score them for you and send in the results by email.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Hi Rich, thank you for the advice and offer thats very kind if you could send them on hopefully i could be ready for the autumn/winter season, i just clicked on the first offical looking link on google, like i said i will talk to the competiton chap at my club and see apart from anything else just what it was i shot in over the winter, they were Official NSRA 20 yard 10 bull targets, which were signed and witnessed and as i passed him 3wks ago he mentioned something about summer targets. I know we all start fresh so to speak but i hate being a noob

Optic wise i got the Nikko targetmaster 4-16x44 1/2mildot 1/4click the reticle is a little thick but will do for now i hope, i also noticed on my opti tt 5-20x50 that it has 1/8 clicks full mildot and again quite a thick reticle and its a lot heavier but maybe that will suit better, i will however keep my eye open for the Falcon as you have suggested thank you again for that, its quite confusing if i am honest, scopes were not something i really had much to do with during my service, well apart from a 10x optics unit on my tank or those absolutely awful susat sights.

i know i keep saying this but, thank you to everyone again just for putting up with me i do appreciate it, hopefully we will meet at a competition one day and i WILL buy the brews and biccies.
    take care
    D

Suitable scope

You could look out for a used Sightron 36 x 42 or a Leupold BR36 or a Weaver T36. These scopes and slight variants are designed specifically for bench rest. Look for a fine, thin reticle...

They would likely have better quality optics than the Falcon or Nikko....in fact better all around.. also at 16 mag you're going to struggle to pick out which bit of the pip you are aiming at.

My advice re scopes would be to buy the very best quality you can afford. If you give up the sport you will still get your money back on a high quality used scope.

If you get into the sport then you will very quickly wish that you hadn't bought an intermediate scope....buy quality and buy once....

If you have an off day you might wonder 'what if I had a better scope'....it would always be on your mind...

There are lots of comps that do not have weight classes. All comps have rules though and they differ from comp to comp so check them out..

I really enjoy bench rest shooting...it's really addictive

...good luck !!
    Last edited by Sundance; 07-03-2017 at 07:58 PM.