Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead Free Pellets - Your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfun View Post
    Yes very informative article with good meaningful measured info, and well worth a read. I know which lead free pellets I'll be trying.
    Thanks, I wrote it very much from a shooters perspective with fellow shooters in mind, and as I mentioned in the article all pellets were purchased by me from local shops.

At the time of my test I had lost my usual 3/4" ply backstop, so used some standard 5mm ply to pin my targets to, at all distances the tin pellets went straight through it and into the stinging nettles behind, so they were still carrying plenty of energy. I also tried the Baracuda's at 50 yards on a standard FT target which I was able to knock down ever time.

I think they are just too light at present, and even the 8.4grn Excites did not hold much of a group at distance, which was a surprise.

My feeling is that for indoor targets, or pest control around grain or other foodstuffs where lead is not ideal, some of these tin pellets would work extremely well.

Gamo lethals

Hi,

I've had Gamo lethals punch through 8 bean tin lids (taped together) from a sub 12ft lbs rifle. That's a car door, but the accuracy was rubbish and the ricochet risk - well they are called lethals.

Lead every time.

c.

i tryed the lethals my ownself

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    Hi,

I've had Gamo lethals punch through 8 bean tin lids (taped together) from a sub 12ft lbs rifle. That's a car door, but the accuracy was rubbish and the ricochet risk - well they are called lethals.

Lead every time.

c.
    i tryed the gamo lethals out in my Diana 350 useing a 142 spring. i put a hobby behind them( dont like broken springs) they would shatter pennys and put holes in quarters but had to do it at 10 yards . after 10 yards you could not hit anything under 6 inchs.
    Aint no fun when the rabbits got the gun

Domed lead pellets work well in all my guns , prey are killed humanely with accuracy,
    , unless the law changes i stick with what i know works!!!
    atb brian

I imagine they are at the best indoors at 10m in CO2 pistols.

Anyone tried them with the replica pistols?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    I tried those pointy plastic things with a metal tip in my HW77 once. Total, utter garbage. With Accupels the HW77 shoots pellet on pellet. With those I was lucky to group on a single sheet of A4.
    Skenco Poly Rhino .177 are no longer made and is it any wonder? I know you can still get them but, trust me, they are discontinued!

I've been testing the field target trophy green lead free pellets over the last few evenings. Seriously unimpressed with them myself.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    I tried “air bullets” and they weren’t terrible just no where near as good as JSB Exact and more expensive to boot.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Does anybody know off-hand what the alloy is that's used in the manufacturing of modern fishing weights, seem to remember it being soft like lead but it's a non toxic 'alloy' and if my memory serves me well they've been using it for quite a few years now, seem to remember it came about back in the late 90's...

I do have to say though, I could be completely mistaken about that 'so' someone with more recent experience than me would need to confirm it, last time I went fishing was about 15yrs ago...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Dinsmore (no so) Super-soft?
    not sure if they started with bismuth mix or a tungsten alloy.

we used Logun Penetrators in an FAC rapid for years, reckon they scrubbed the bore out. The pellets must have been going up the barrel like skipping stones.

I've had surprisingly good results with the Barracuda Green in .22, everything else in lead-free has proven to be worse than a cheap lead diabolo.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Does anybody know off-hand what the alloy is that's used in the manufacturing of modern fishing weights, seem to remember it being soft like lead but it's a non toxic 'alloy' and if my memory serves me well they've been using it for quite a few years now, seem to remember it came about back in the late 90's...

I do have to say though, I could be completely mistaken about that 'so' someone with more recent experience than me would need to confirm it, last time I went fishing was about 15yrs ago...
    Anglers can use sinkers and jigs made from non-poisonous materials such as tin, bismuth, steel, and tungsten-nickel alloy.