Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTC Viper Pro 10x44 vs Hawke Sidewinder TAC 30 10x42

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin

MTC Viper Pro 10x44 vs Hawke Sidewinder TAC 30 10x42

Hi All,

Following on from an earlier thread about scope recommendations i think i am down to two.

MTC Viper Pro 10x44 with SCB2
    Hawke Sidewinder TAC 30 10x42 Half Mil

These both seem to have the features im looking for: IR, Fixed Mag, lockable turrets

Ive spoken to a few "in the know" and the Hawke seems to be favorable.

Before i push the big "wife shout at me button" does anyone have an opinion on either be it good or bad?

It will be replacing my Falcon Menace 10x42 B20 Ret.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Now that`s funny. I have had both of these scopes in the past and the one I have kept is the Mtc. I just found it to be the nicer scope, nothing really wrong with the Hawk, but just seemed to get on better with the Mtc.
    I don`t suppose this has helped a lot, probably clouded the issue somewhat.

The Hawke appears to have the better glass but actually it has better coatings but the design of the MTC optics is better corrected. IMHO both are as good as each other but the older MTC Viper 10X44 seems a bargain in comparison to the Hawke whose prices have jumped up quite considerably. I prefer the MTC as the reticule seems to work better for me. A used Mint MTC 10X44 can be had from £150.00 upwards .

A.G

Thank you both.
    I had an old MTC Viper 10x44 and i cant actually remember why i sold it, but i think it was just i had a look through a friends Falcon and it looked nice

I prefer the ret of the MTC, but i am advised that the Hawke is the better allrounder....oh the decisions

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Now that`s funny. I have had both of these scopes in the past and the one I have kept is the Mtc. I just found it to be the nicer scope, nothing really wrong with the Hawk, but just seemed to get on better with the Mtc.
    I don`t suppose this has helped a lot, probably clouded the issue somewhat.
    Archie, does the viper pro have lift up and lock down turrets like the old viper did?

Regards,
    Rhys

Nothing wrong with the falcon. Perhaps the ret is a bit fine?

IMO the Hawke Sidewinder has the better optics, lets through more light. Somehow seems clearer to me.
    I thought I preferred the MTC's SCB reticule but I find those little circular mil-dots useful, so the Hawk's 1/2 mil-dot ret is still best for me.
    The Hawke has an extra lens in the eyepiece. Results in less parallax problems on near shots. How to test:
    1) Set parallax to 25 yards
    2) Put target at 10 yards with markings that are some 5 or 10 mil-dots apart
    3) Look at target moving eye closer and farther away from the eyepiece. Observe the ret changing size. This effect is less pronounced in the Hawke.
    Last edited by radiofan; 05-09-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Look through both and make up your own mind, something I've learned over the years is that the difference in glass quality is often in the eye of the beholder.
    Don't discount the Optisan EVX 10x44

Quote Originally Posted by radiofan View Post
    Nothing wrong with the falcon. Perhaps the ret is a bit fine?

IMO the Hawke Sidewinder has the better optics, lets through more light. Somehow seems clearer to me.
    I thought I preferred the MTC's SCB reticule but I find those little circular mil-dots useful, so the Hawk's 1/2 mil-dot ret is still best for me.
    The Hawke has an extra lens in the eyepiece. Results in less parallax problems on near shots. How to test:
    1) Set parallax to 25 yards
    2) Put target at 10 yards with markings that are some 5 or 10 mil-dots apart
    3) Look at target moving eye closer and farther away from the eyepiece. Observe the ret changing size. This effect is less pronounced in the Hawke.
    Having had a Sidewinder I found mine fogged a bit on full mag where as the MTC Viper stayed sharp, both were 4-16x50
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Thank you everyone for your comments...not sure if I'm any clearer but it's good to hear people's experiences of them both.

Regards,
    Rhys

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    Archie, does the viper pro have lift up and lock down turrets like the old viper did?

Regards,
    Rhys
    just had a look at a new MTC "pro" in 6-18x.. the turret locking is very clever, much better than the older version. uses a sliding catch, not seen anything like it elsewhere, it looks really cool. Not sure if the pro 10x is the same ?

Pic here showing the locking mech -
    http://airgunnut.co.za/files/000347/...0_00000056.jpg

edit, yeah, it does look to have that same locking mech:
    https://www.thehuntingedge.co.uk/pro...o-10x44-scope/
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thank you JB

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    Having had a Sidewinder I found mine fogged a bit on full mag where as the MTC Viper stayed sharp, both were 4-16x50
    Just to be clear, this tread is talking about the fixed mag 10x42 TAC 30, a scope that was developed specially for HFT.
    I've not had experience with the rest of the sidewinder range.

Quote Originally Posted by radiofan View Post
    Just to be clear, this tread is talking about the fixed mag 10x42 TAC 30, a scope that was developed specially for HFT.
    I've not had experience with the rest of the sidewinder range.
    Yeah I know Giving my opinion in general, that can still be useful and is the beauty of open discussion
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

mtc viper pro just came out it's a brand new scope and not many people have it. although I'm looking for a MTC Viper pro 10x44.

I've had the older mtc viper and the Hawke 10x42 and I would go for the mtc even though it has thick crosshair.

Thanks Ags,

Any particular reason why you would pick the MTC over the Hawke?