Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory lane

Memory lane

For those of us who enjoy going down it (most, it seems!), I've posted most of a reproduction set of lists by Dennis Hiller in the gallery...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...C+1970s-90s%29
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Some of us have still got some of the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Some of us have still got some of the originals.
    Amazing to think how fast things move now. If you blink you miss it. Mind you, the mags still publish their 'swap shop' section, or whatever it's called these days - a throwback to an earlier age, really.

If you get some time, David, could you please scan your original lists and I'll post them up. Thanks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I bought the Falcon on page 13, sold it, then bought it back again last year!

Happy days

John

I've now scanned a batch of 24 x A5 lists and will post links as soon as I can upload them to my site, which, for whatever reason, won't currently let me even open it.
    I've still got another batch of A4 lists to scan.
    Here's a link to the A5's: http://mynetimages.com/viewalbum/2f65ec13/b9a825624c
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 21-03-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Addition of link.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    l used to eagerly await the postman to deliver mine before l went to work, if he was late l knew l would miss the best guns that was in there by the time l got home l still have some of the guns that l bought off him. very amusing reading as his spelling was as good as mine.
    am l wrong but did the guys who run Protek buy all of Dennis stock when he sold up?.

Chris Hough bought all Dennis's stock.

Talk about 'memory lane'!

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    For those of us who enjoy going down it (most, it seems!), I've posted most of a reproduction set of lists by Dennis Hiller in the gallery...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...C+1970s-90s%29
    Dennis traded me a Webley 'Premier' for that Gun Layer listed for twelve hundred quid! ;-) Incidently,I was in the army in 1954 and at the camp that gun-layer came from.I NEVER saw one mounted on a Valentine tank though!
    I really looked forward to his bundle of lists-almost written in code. I DID get a rear sight for my Gecado 50.......Those were the days. Likewise with John Galloway,I got a Haenel 28R and a Westley Richard HP from his lists(VAG). By the way,re 'Airgun Hobbyist' it's presentation seems to have airmailing in mind.It is light,easily enveloped and not to expensive to post.Advertising is rather minimal.I think of it as airgunning's version of 'TIME' magazine,i.e. very mail friendly.
    Trev
    PS re-WHITE POWDER PEDDLER CLEARED. Does anyone remember the mysterious 'powder packet' found in the fore-stock of HAKIM(Anschutz) military trainers? It probably was a dessicant of some sort but as Heroin it made a better story!!
    Last edited by cinedux; 21-03-2017 at 09:58 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Chris Hough bought all Dennis's stock.
    Hi many thanks for the info.

I also used to eagerly await Dennis's lists to arrive by post, not only for the need to phone him immediately to secure a much needed gun or spare parts etc before they were sold, but to marvel at his very non-PC jokes bashed out on that ancient typewriter of his which he must have used for decades up until his final posting before he finally retired/sold out.
    I have kept all his lists mainly for pure nostalgia I suppose.
    Such a shame Dennis sold out to someone who then proceeded to sell of all the stock rather than continue trading in the same way as Dennis had anticipated!
    Aubrey

Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    I also used to eagerly await Dennis's lists to arrive by post, not only for the need to phone him immediately to secure a much needed gun or spare parts etc before they were sold, but to marvel at his very non-PC jokes bashed out on that ancient typewriter of his which he must have used for decades up until his final posting before he finally retired/sold out.
    I have kept all his lists mainly for pure nostalgia I suppose.
    Such a shame Dennis sold out to someone who then proceeded to sell of all the stock rather than continue trading in the same way as Dennis had anticipated!
    Aubrey
    I don't think Chris has sold off much of the stock, Aubrey, and I know for a fact that he's been generous with parts to collectors in need.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

i can remember the smell of pipe smoke on ever thing he sold it stunk like crap the only thing bad I can say about the man good old days we need him back but not the pipe

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I don't remember these lists as I did not get back into airguns until about 9 years ago.
    However the lists are similar to some that a record collector bloke used to send out to my brother a few years ago, with the jokes, observations an disorganised lists. As someone who has a crap computer, an email that is crap and hard to get into and has no photos, I can appreciate how these lists came about in the somewhat chaotic state that they did.

With regards to Chris, he has been very helpful with bits for my various "crap gun" projects over the years.
    Of all the people who have been banned from the BBS over the years, he is the one who I miss as he actually did post in this section.
    Most of the banned ones were loud mouthed keyboard warriors, trolls and d--kh--ds, who never posted outside of "non airgun" or "members only".

But I digress
    Nice to see some of this stuff up on line and also that Dennis Hiller produced the books that I refer to when I'm looking at olde gunny stuff.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

I can't even remember what Chris was banned for; was it for trading on the BBS ?

I can't even remember what Chris was banned for; was it for trading on the BBS ?
    No, it was being involved in some barney or other over in the members' section - no doubt that seemed very serious at the time.

Plus being rather rude to the mods afterwards. Numerous attempts to have him reinstated have failed for that reason, unfortunately... he was an asset to collectables.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery