Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory lane

HW Vixen

Such a shame this fellow got banned on here. I know personally of just a few of the good deeds and charitable acts he performed. The last Melbourne Marksmen event that he and I attended raised over £700 for the poppy appeal, I think the figures have declined since his involvement.

He has sent out many spares, free of charge to many keen up and coming collectors and done so without publicising it on threads/posts.

Most of us on here are getting on a bit and it would be nice to see the olive branch offered and forget any past discrepancies, whatever they may have been.

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Following some personal hard times and having to sell up virtually everything airgun related I tentively started to build up a small modest collection once again. My budget ran to virtually nil a lot of the time but I managed to pick up the odd virtually scrap Webley Mk1 or BSA Cadet etc. These would have remained as stillborn projects if it hadn't have been for the kindness and generosity shown to me by Chris Hough who encouraged me to continue with them,giving his advice freely when often I'm sure my questions were simple and basic,not only that but he has often sent parts to me whilst refusing to take payment happy as he says in the knowledge that another old Airgun will live again.
    Whilst none of us in Gentlemens corner like to see disagreements I can't help feel that a sentence has now long been served and Chris as a true ambassador of our hobby would be a most welcome re addition,surely someone who has given so much over so many years could perhaps recieve something back for once.
    May I add that through this forum I have recieved kindness and support also from chaps like Binners and Guy 'Ggggr' who have also endured countless (possibly nieve) questions without complaint.
    All the best,Phil

Thumbs up

Have to say that Chris has helped me out with all sorts and had to force him to take a little bit of money for the parts!!!

I went to Melbourne, He asked if I wanted a few projects!!

I came home with around twenty actions!! A really early HW85 stock of which he has loads!! I fitted it to my HW95, It's dead nice as my stock on the rifle had been split at some stage!!

I also came home with a couple of Rekord trigger blades and a buttpad for a HW35 Luxus stock that I recently bought!!!

He's sent me loads of bits for various old HW35's previously too!!!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I know this has gone off thread now---but I'll continue anyway
    It seems that quite a few of us in this corner of the BBS miss Chris/ HwVixen in this section. I wonder if the mods would be so kind as to let him return to the forum on a restricted/probationary basis?
    Unlike most of the D--k h--ds and trolls who have been banned, he was active in this corner of the BBS and other Airgun parts of the site. How about letting him return but restricting his posting so he could not post in Members only or Non Airgun?
    I've thought for a while, that restricted access for the persistent offenders might be an alternative to a full ban. Most who have been banned never posted in the airgun sections anyhow, so would probably just stop using the site if they could not express their views and Gob off!

I hope this has not upset anyone and I know the site does have rules, but in light of Chris's obvious contributions to airgunning and air gunners, maybe a relaxing of the rules in this case?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I know this has gone off thread now---but I'll continue anyway
    It seems that quite a few of us in this corner of the BBS miss Chris/ HwVixen in this section. I wonder if the mods would be so kind as to let him return to the forum on a restricted/probationary basis?
    Unlike most of the D--k h--ds and trolls who have been banned, he was active in this corner of the BBS and other Airgun parts of the site. How about letting him return but restricting his posting so he could not post in Members only or Non Airgun?
    I've thought for a while, that restricted access for the persistent offenders might be an alternative to a full ban. Most who have been banned never posted in the airgun sections anyhow, so would probably just stop using the site if they could not express their views and Gob off!

I hope this has not upset anyone and I know the site does have rules, but in light of Chris's obvious contributions to airgunning and air gunners, maybe a relaxing of the rules in this case?
    I agree with Guy.

Chris is a real gent and it would be good to see him back on here, if he wants to return of course.

I think he has 'served his time' and our little corner would benefit from Chris' return.

How about it Mods?

John.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    The last time I wandered down memory lane - I got lost!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

How about allowing him back, if he loses weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    How about allowing him back, if he loses weight.
    The bigger he is the more there is to go round

'Free the Derbyshire one!'

He's not Lazarus, he's a naughty boy.

He'll never rise from wherever the Mods have sent him to serve his purgatory, possibly transport to the colonies?

Although I do feel It seems somewhat draconian not to have a form of redemption, especially from the post in this thread he appears to have done much for charity,

I did wonder about getting myself barred, but only to save money

If ever there was someone who deserved a 2nd chance surely it must be Chris,I think that everything that has been written must speak volumes for the fact he is held in high regard within collectors circles. A Circle that is getting ever older it seems,a fact that has not gone unnoticed by Chris who has actively encouraged younger people into the circle to carry on the interest and become the next generation of custodians of our beloved AirGuns that otherwise could be lost. As previously mentioned by most this is almost invariably at financial cost to Chris let alone time.
    I think Guy (Ggggr)had a point when he suggested ltd access perhaps for a period to just the collectors corner.
    I am relatively new too forums and I bow to greater knowledge as to how they run but I do understand the concept of forgiveness. I know there are differences but a Murderer gets another chance after say 25 years, a rapist after maybe 7.....an ambassador for our ever decreasing hobby gets 'life with no chance of paroll' after one minor indiscretion.
    Leniency in this particular occasion I and it appears many others feel would be the Gentlemanly thing. Atb Phil.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    If ever there was someone who deserved a 2nd chance surely it must be Chris,I think that everything that has been written must speak volumes for the fact he is held in high regard within collectors circles. A Circle that is getting ever older it seems,a fact that has not gone unnoticed by Chris who has actively encouraged younger people into the circle to carry on the interest and become the next generation of custodians of our beloved AirGuns that otherwise could be lost. As previously mentioned by most this is almost invariably at financial cost to Chris let alone time.
    I think Guy (Ggggr)had a point when he suggested ltd access perhaps for a period to just the collectors corner.
    I am relatively new too forums and I bow to greater knowledge as to how they run but I do understand the concept of forgiveness. I know there are differences but a Murderer gets another chance after say 25 years, a rapist after maybe 7.....an ambassador for our ever decreasing hobby gets 'life with no chance of paroll' after one minor indiscretion.
    Leniency in this particular occasion I and it appears many others feel would be the Gentlemanly thing. Atb Phil.
    l have to agree with the above.

Sorry to pull this thread back on track (FWIW I think Chris should be allowed back on here ASAP, but then the mods know this already).

Thanks to the continued generosity of Troubledshooter, I have posted more of Dennis Hiller's lists here.

I love Hiller's honest appraisals of guns he was selling, which let's face it is refreshing for a dealer.

Some examples:

"Rarely collected in this condition"

"Action cocks and fires, but not pellets"

"Often found in this condition"

"Would assume this to be an early example of whatever it's supposed to be"

"As rough as a bear's arm pit"
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Sorry to pull this thread back on track (FWIW I think Chris should be allowed back on here ASAP, but then the mods know this already).

Thanks to the continued generosity of Troubledshooter, I have posted more of Dennis Hiller's lists here.

I love Hiller's honest appraisals of guns he was selling, which let's face it is refreshing for a dealer.

Some examples:

"Rarely collected in this condition"

"Action cocks and fires, but not pellets"

"Often found in this condition"

"Would assume this to be an early example of whatever it's supposed to be"

"As rough as a bear's arm pit"
    How refreshing to read again Denis's comments from Troubledshooter's published lists with descriptions of guns for sale composed in his own inimitable style complete with spelling mistakes and interspersed with non-PC joke all hammered out on that old typewriter of his. A true trip down Memory Lane!

Many thanks to

Garvin and Troubledshooter for the letters, I didn't know that AGW was launched on the best day of the year would love to see the first edition one day. I noticed at the bottom that his spares business was up for sale, I bet some Portly Charitable fellow from middle England bought it

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Garvin and Troubledshooter for the letters, I didn't know that AGW was launched on the best day of the year would love to see the first edition one day. I noticed at the bottom that his spares business was up for sale, I bet some Portly Charitable fellow from middle England bought it
    I don't know about Chris being a 'portly fellow' as I've never met him, but if the description is correct, he's certainly in esteemed company, isn't that right Peter.
    According to Dennis, Chris's Transit van's axles were nearly touching the ground when he left Dennis's establishment laden with many years of Airgun treasures.
    I think I've got a first edition of AGW somewhere.