Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Memory lane

Red face

I can remember a few years ago when Chris was running the melbourne marksmen, he invited me down on a clubnight to put a few of my older guns on display, when I got there and set them out he asked'You'll be ok to give a little lecture about them won't you'? 😮😳

There was only about twenty people there but i'd never spoken before a crowd before!!

I managed to mumble my way through although it felt like teaching Granny to suck evgs as most of the members were more senior than me and probably have forgotten more than i'll ever know!! ☺️

John 🙂
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    According to Dennis, Chris's Transit van's axles were nearly touching the ground when he left Dennis's establishment laden with many years of Airgun treasures.
    I can well believe it. Chris gave me this pic and it's only the stocks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I don't know about Chris being a 'portly fellow' as I've never met him, but if the description is correct, he's certainly in esteemed company, isn't that right Peter.
    According to Dennis, Chris's Transit van's axles were nearly touching the ground when he left Dennis's establishment laden with many years of Airgun treasures.
    I think I've got a first edition of AGW somewhere.

Esteemed company indeed David, of course I am a lot taller than him, but not as generous

pjbingham is online now My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Chris has told me about the day he collected all the stuff from DH,the transit was infact a Luton bodied Transit and it was indeed riding as low as it would go with the rear tyres half flat. Upon reaching their destination they had to unload half the gear just to get up the sloping driveway because the van was grounding out
    Chris and his mate estimated they loaded over a Ton in pellets alone! Ontop of that there were Airguns and ofcourse all the spares. At the time no one else was either interested or could raise the funds to purchase everything but Chris managed to beg borrow or steal enough to go for it.
    I'm sure that given the high profile seller the spares would never have simply 'dissapeared' from the scene but it's great that Chris has managed to do so much for so many with them since then. For example I would estimate that out of the 50 or so Airguns I own there are probably less than 10 that don't have atleast one spare part from the legendary haul.
    I can only begin to imagine how exciting it must have been to sort through that King Tuts tomb of spares....
    'I see things...Wonderous things'

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Sorry to pull this thread back on track (FWIW I think Chris should be allowed back on here ASAP, but then the mods know this already).

Gentlemen of the Collectors Section.

Following a PM from Garvin politely asking Admin to consider reinstating Chris Hough's (HWVixen's) BBS account, coupled with Johnbaz directing me to this thread, I've looked into the situation for you.

Since being banned, Chris seems to have made very few posts about airguns and has instead concentrated his efforts on making multiple posts slagging off members of the BBS, the Admin of the BBS and even the BBS as a whole --- describing it as a cesspit.

This being the case the admin of the BBS have no desire whatsoever to ever reinstate Mr Chris Hough's membership to the BBS --- thank you.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Gentlemen of the Collectors Section.

Following a PM from Garvin politely asking Admin to consider reinstating Chris Hough's (HWVixen's) BBS account, coupled with Johnbaz directing me to this thread, I've looked into the situation for you.

Since being banned, Chris seems to have made very few posts about airguns and has instead concentrated his efforts on making multiple posts slagging off members of the BBS, the Admin of the BBS and even the BBS as a whole --- describing it as a cesspit.

This being the case the admin of the BBS have no desire whatsoever to ever reinstate Mr Chris Hough's membership to the BBS --- thank you.

All the best Mick
    Sorry to hear that, Mick. But thanks for checking.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I can remember a few years ago when Chris was running the melbourne marksmen, he invited me down on a clubnight to put a few of my older guns on display, when I got there and set them out he asked'You'll be ok to give a little lecture about them won't you'? ����

There was only about twenty people there but i'd never spoken before a crowd before!!

I managed to mumble my way through although it felt like teaching Granny to suck evgs as most of the members were more senior than me and probably have forgotten more than i'll ever know!! ☺️

John ��
    The git did that to me as well!...He had asked people to bring in prewar BSA stuff to make a display and then said ''Eddie will now give a talk''

As someone who at school would rather stand in the corridor than speak in front of class I got through it only due to years of dealing with people in work situations but it was not comfortable.

Chris had plonked a couple of his own BSA's on the end of the bench, just a 45'' IMD .25 and a Milpat ........nothing special

Photos here hopefully;

http://www.melbournemarksmen.co.uk/default.htm

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 05-04-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    The git did that to me as well!...He had asked people to bring in prewar BSA stuff to make a display and then said ''Eddie will now give a talk''

As someone who at school would rather stand in the corridor than speak in front of class I got through it only due to years of dealing with people in work situations but it was not comfortable.

Chris had plonked a couple of his own BSA's on the end of the bench, just a 45'' IMD .25 and a Milpat ........nothing special

Photos here hopefully;

http://www.melbournemarksmen.co.uk/default.htm

ATB, Ed
    Ha ha ha!!

I felt a proper twit with my thick Sheffield 'Dee Dar' accent, I still don't know to this day whether anyone understood a word I said!!

It looks like the Melbourne Marksmen site is back up the Ed??

Each time I clicked on it, It was really strange and said that Islamic State had taken over the site but I could see the pics with your link!!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Chris Hough and Melbourne Marksmen have done a tremendous amount to increase knowledge about collectable guns. They were instrumental in ensuring that the original airgun collector fairs at Groby and Sutton Coldfield could go ahead. This has resulted in the regular Melbourne fairs and now the Kempton Park fair that looks like it will be a big success. They have facilitated one of the most important aspects of preserving history: movement; helping guns, parts and literature to change hands between collectors, to come out of attics, sheds and cellars so that the guns can be preserved and studied.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Chris Hough and Melbourne Marksmen have done a tremendous amount to increase knowledge about collectable guns. They were instrumental in ensuring that the original airgun collector fairs at Groby and Sutton Coldfield could go ahead. This has resulted in the regular Melbourne fairs and now the Kempton Park fair that looks like it will be a big success. They have facilitated one of the most important aspects of preserving history: movement; helping guns, parts and literature to change hands between collectors, to come out of attics, sheds and cellars so that the guns can be preserved and studied.

A certain MM Weightwatching runner-up, salad dodger, has not ruled out a trip South. It would be great to see him and some of the faces I met on my few MM Fairs.

These Fairs in general and Vintage shooting in particular, are a credit those above and others like Danny, JM, Eddie, Lakey, T20 (gonna stop there, as too many are coming to mind) and not least the Admin/Mods, even has beens like GWB that put in the effort to keep it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Unfortunately, Admin can only base their decision on the worthiness of an ex member to return to this forum on that member's posting history on other Internet forums during their absence.

On that basis, Mr Hough will never be returning to the BBS, so let's not waste anymore time on the subject.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 14-04-2017 at 07:52 PM.