It seems there is no commonly agreed approach as to the lubrication of the piston/washer of an air rifle/pistol. Given this is a critical issue in terms of the performance, well-being, future and accuracy of any rifle, I thought I would commence a thread to see if we can reach a majority opinion, if not a consensus. That might be rather optimistic! On the other hand, discovering what others do and recommend, would be helpful to many readers and air-gunners.

As I see it, there is a difference of approach between leather and synthetic washers. I have therefore numbered the questions under varying categories.

1 Synthetic washers: it seems most people recommend SM50, which I gather is a mixture of oil and silicon. The advantage is that this substance claims to respond well to high temperatures and pressures.

Some people recommend an application of grease, such as LT2.

I am presuming (always dangerous to presume), that a mineral oil or neatsfoot is not recommended for synthetic washers.

2 Leather washers: it seems that neatsfoot or a mineral oil is advised. Is there a particular oil that can be regarded as the best? Some people use an SAE30 engine oil; others use neatsfoot. I have read, on the site, that some use 3 in 1 but I suspect this diesels rather more easily than other oils. Presumably, it is best to find an oil that operates under high temperatures and pressure, with a minimum of dieseling.

The above stated, when I bought my Original 45 in 1980, the gunsmith recommended SM50, which I used sparingly through the transfer port to lubricate the leather washer.

3 Neatsfoot: presumably, this is only for leather washers. Will there be adverse consequences if it is introduced where, previously, a mineral oil or SM50 was used and vice versa? Thus, does it mix ok with mineral oil and/or SM50?

4 Silicon oil: this seems to be a big 'no-no' for both leather and synthetic washers, for fear that it might migrate to other parts of the rifle and seize up the metal-to-metal working parts.

5 SM50: some claim that because it is a blend of oil and silicon, there is a danger that the silicon within could cause the same difficulties as per point 4, above.

6 Springs: it seems that LT2 is recommended sparingly. Is any oil recommended for the mainspring?

We therefore have plenty of technical questions here and if we were seeking to optimise the performance of our air rifles, how would these points be addressed?

I have omitted any reference to trigger lubrication, as it is a separate subject.

Rgds
A